Up to the 20 districts | Up to the map of the buildings and sites in Paris

The 6th district contains the western part of the Latin Quarter, around Saint-Germain-des-Prés. But the luxury shops have replaced the libraries. First the map:


           __________   Seine \_Ile de la Cité
            ||       ```---___  ```---________ 
            ||                ```---__________                    
            ||                          | |
            ||                          |B|
            ||                          |d|
            ||  S.Germ-Prés             |.|
         ___||__________________________| |___
                   Bd Saint-Germain
         ---..---..---------------------. .---
            ||   ||         Odéon       |S|
            ||   ||                     |a|
            //   || S.Sulpice           |i|
        \\ //    ||                     |n|
         \\//    ||r           Palais   |t|
          \//    ||.       """"" Lux """|-|
    7th   //\    ||R       """""""""""""|M|    5th
          //\\B  ||e        """"""""""""|i|
          // \\d ||n        """"""""""""|c|
         //   \\.||n         """""""""  |h|
         //    \\||e         """""""""  |e|
         //     \\|s          """"""""  |l|
        //       \\           """"""""  | |
        //       |\\R              """  | |
        //       ||\\a             """  | |
       //        || \\s             """ | |
       //        ||  \\p            """ | |
       //        ||   \\a            """| |
      //         ||    \\i           """| |
     _//_________||_____\\l___________""| |___
           Bd du Montparnasse
     ---------------------\\------------   ---
               14th        \\
           
             Montparnasse
                Bldg

The top direction corresponds to the north-north-east. Everything in italics is outside the district. The double quotes (""") indicate the Jardin du Luxembourg}.

Population was 44,919 in 1999 (6th least populated district) and land area is 2.15 km2 (5th smallest district).

Around Boulevard Saint-Germain

Many libraries and a few universities still survive in the little streets north and south of boulevard Saint-Germain. The crowded boulevard Saint-Michel, from the Seine to the Jardin du Luxembourg, is the home of large bookshops for students or book lovers (Gibert Joseph). In rue Monsieur-le-Prince, which goes south-east from Carrefour de l'Odéon, you will find foreign bookshops. Saint-Sulpice hosts shops dedicated to religious items, including the large bookshop "La Procope". Everywhere in the northern half of the district you will find other bookshops specialized in all the fields of knowledge.

Saint-Germain-des-Prés is a former abbey which, as its name indicates, was surrounded by fields (prés) in the Middle Ages. Nowadays, only the roman church remains on boulevard Saint-Germain, at the end of rue de Rennes. It's one of the oldest and most beautiful churches in Paris; the walls are entirely painted inside, a rare thing in France.

Facing the church, on the boulevard, stand the famous cafés of Saint-Germain-des-Prés: les Deux Magots and the Café de Flore, where many writers, philosophers, artists used to spend their time. You can send them in many Nouvelle Vague movies. Nowadays, most of the clients are probably tourists, because the prices are extremely high. Perfume and clothe shops have invaded the quarter. There used to be several famous libraries in Saint-Germain-des-Prés, but all of them have disappeared as far as I know, except an interesting one, between les Deux Magots and the Café de Flore, which stays open until midnight.

Instead of paying your dinner twice the normal price at Saint-Germain-des-Prés, walk in the little streets north of boulevard Saint-Germain and choose a small restaurant there. After the very lively rue de Buci, you will walk through an area dedicated to art galleries and find charming 17th- and 18th-century streets near Saint-Michel. Notice the very beautiful 18th-century balcony at 27, rue Saint-André-des-Arts.

Odéon and Luxembourg

After crossing the boulevard Saint-Germain at Carrefour de l'Odéon, you will walk south to the Théâtre de l'Odéon and get to the largest garden inside Paris: the Jardin du Luxembourg. It's a very typical French garden with ponds and straight alleys. It's crowded with students, tourists, chess or tennis players, and it may be difficult to find a seat on a Saturday afternoon in May. The palace at the northern entrance of the garden is the Senate. French citizens (and maybe foreigners?) can come and follow the proceedings in the beautiful amphitheatre.

Montparnasse

Montparnasse extends over the 6th, 14th and 15th districts. Nowadays, Montparnasse is one of the liveliest areas at night in Paris with restaurants, cinemas and theaters.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.