Addictive video game by Andrew Braybrook released in 1985 for the Commodore 64.

You see, the droid crew of a galactic space freighter have turned against their masters so your goal is to clear all the droids from all 20 decks of the freighter. An Influence Device has been beamed aboard the freighter to help you out. You can use it to destroy droids by shooting them, ramming them or temporarily taking control of their circuitry (transferring) to redirect its energy and armaments against its own kind. The third method is by far the most useful and fun, and its mastery is critical to your success in Paradroid.

There are 24 different droid types in 9 different droid classes. Each has its own 3-digit serial number. The higher a droid's class, the more powerful it is, but also the harder it is to gain and keep control of it.

The transferring process is hard to explain, but it involves choosing the best side of the circuit board (one with Autopulsers and Splitters is good), and then trying to make at least 7 of the opposing droid's rectangles change to your colour by firing pulsers across clear paths to center rectangles of the opposing droid's processor's colour. The droid's processor will be trying to do the same to you, and likely has more pulsers, so be careful. Remember to watch out for Terminators, Joiners and Color Switchers. Deadlock occurs if you only change 6 of the processor's colours to your own colour. This is a tie, and you get to try again. Hm. I guess you have to see it to know what I'm talking about.

Interesting note:
The Influence Device that you begin with has serial number 001. The rad-ass font used in Paradroid makes the little droid look like it has a face. It looks similar to this:
  _    
/~~~~\ 
{}{} ||
\____/ 

These are the droids you will encounter during the game:
Paradroid Unit type 001
Paradroid Unit type 123
Paradroid Unit type 139
Paradroid Unit type 247
Paradroid Unit type 249
Paradroid Unit type 296
Paradroid Unit type 302
Paradroid Unit type 329
Paradroid Unit type 420
Paradroid Unit type 476
Paradroid Unit type 493
Paradroid Unit type 516
Paradroid Unit type 571
Paradroid Unit type 598
Paradroid Unit type 614
Paradroid Unit type 615
Paradroid Unit type 629
Paradroid Unit type 711
Paradroid Unit type 742
Paradroid Unit type 751
Paradroid Unit type 821
Paradroid Unit type 834
Paradroid Unit type 883
Paradroid Unit type 999

There used to be ascii images and useful information about these droids, but the editors decided that e2 is better without it.

Clones:
xriso recently informed me of a Paradroid clone called Nighthawk that was created for "the Unix/Linux X-Windows GUI". More information about it can be found here: http://jsno.downunder.net.au/proj_linux/nighthawk.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.