Also, Powerline Area Network. A communications technology which uses the magnetic field surrounding powerlines as a medium to transmit such data as: voice, video, telephone, radio, internet, and satellite. See also: Media Fusion.

PAN, acronym for Partido Accion Nacional, the current ruling party in Mexico. Founded originally as opposition to the PRI, particularly in opposition to the anti-clerical positions of the PRI. Won national office in Mexico in June 2000 when candidate Vicente Fox was victorious in his bid for the presidency.

Spanish and, interestingly, Japanese (パン) for "bread".

Japan actually borrowed the word from the Portuguese "paõ" but since Japanese doesn't have nasal vowels it sounds more like the Spanish word - fascinating eh? (:

Thanks liveforever for reminding me about this missing link.

In film terminology, to 'pan a camera' means to rotate the camera on its vertical axis. It is analagous to standing still but rotating your head. A common cinematographic technique, the pan is often used to follow a moving object in a scene.

A whip pan is a quick version of the regular pan, (like 'whipping your head round when you hear a noise').

See also: tracking shot

[Sanskrit: parna to mediaeval Hindi pan]

A kind of intoxicant, used with a special paste, and the betel nut.

See also: betel nut.

A little bit more about Pan, god of the woods and pastures in Greek mythology

Pan was the protector of shepherds and their flocks. Both shepherds and farmers prayed to Pan in order that he might make their animals fertile.

Pan took the form of half man and half goat. The Greeks believed that he was a rather unpredicable sort. They also thought he had the power to fill both humans and animals with sudden terror. Hence the origin of the word panic

The Greeks associated Pan with the wilderness. They believed Pan lived in caves, on mountain slopes and in other lonely places. It is believed that the worship of Pan began in an area of southern Greece called Arcadia. Pan's father, Hermes was also associated with Arcadia. The worship of Pan grew until he was one of the more popular gods of his time.

According to the myths, Pan had many love affairs with the nymphs and other divine beings. He tried to start an affair with the nymph Syrinx but she ran away from him in terror and begged the other gods to help her. The gods reacted by turning Syrinx in a bunch of reeds. It was from those reeds that Pan made the musical instrument, the panpipe. He later became famous for the beautiful music that he created on it.

{ Moons of Saturn }
Discovered by            Mark Showalter  
Date of Discovery        1990
Distance from Saturn     133,583 km
Radius                   10 km
Mass                     ???
Orbital Eccentricity     ???
Orbital Inclination      ???
Orbital Period           0.5750 days
Rotational Period        ???
Density (gm/cm3)         ??? 

Very little is known about poor Pan, the nearest satellite to Saturn. It is a shepherd moon in the Encke Gap of Saturn's A ring. A shepherd moon limits the extent of a ring so Pan keeps this gap open through its gravitational effects. It was discovered by studying imagery from the Voyager 2 probe. See also: rings of Saturn.

Sources:
NASA.gov
space.com

This is the Polish honorific meaning "Mister" or "Sir". As all pronouns are inflected, it may be inflected into the genitive as "Pani", which I (Having English as my first language) find somewhat confusing, as Pani is also the nominative for the feminine version of the word (Meaning Mrs or Madam).

Pan is a graphical, free newsreader for *nix systems. It is based on the GNOME framework, but will run under any desktop environment or window manager. It contains all of the usual newsreader features, such as posting and threading, and also many features that are convenient for file sharing over Usenet. The name was originally an acronym for Pimp-Ass Newsreader, but appears to now just be Pan.

The basic newsreader interface is an intuitive three-pane system, similar to most recent mail clients. One pane is devoted to listing groups, a second to listing articles, and a third to showing articles. There is an optional tabbed mode where each pane takes up a separate tab that can be quite useful on a small monitor. The posting interface is bare-bones but functional. It supports multiple news servers and multiple connections, although only one newsgroup can be open for reading at a time, unlike such clients as Xnews.

Pan has considerable support for Usenet binaries. It supports uuencoded, base64, and yEnc binaries, and is capable of queuing multiple binary downloads. There is a simple task manager available for reordering and cancelling queued tasks. The interface makes it simple to select large groups of binaries to be queued, a considerable improvement over many newsreaders such as Mozilla Thunderbird and knode.

Pan is released under the GNU GPL, and has a homepage at http://pan.rebelbase.com/. The current version is 0.14.2, with the beta version 0.132 also being available.


(CC)
This writeup is copyright 2003-2004 D.G. Roberge and is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike licence.

Pan, n. [OE. See 2d Pane.]

1.

A part; a portion.

2. Fort.

The distance comprised between the angle of the epaule and the flanked angle.

3. [Perh. a different word.]

A leaf of gold or silver.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pan, v. t. & i. [Cf. F. pan skirt, lappet, L. pannus a cloth, rag, W. panu to fur, to full.]

To join or fit together; to unite.

[Obs.]

Halliwell.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pan (?), n. [Hind. pan, Skr. parna leaf.]

The betel leaf; also, the masticatory made of the betel leaf, etc. See etel.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pan (?), n. [L., fr. Gr. .] Gr. Myth.

The god of shepherds, guardian of bees, and patron of fishing and hunting. He is usually represented as having the head and trunk of a man, with the legs, horns, and tail of a goat, and as playing on the shepherd's pipe, which he is said to have invented.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pan, n. [OE. panne, AS. panne; cf. D. pan, G. pfanne, OHG. pfanna, Icel., Sw., LL., & Ir. panna, of uncertain origin; cf. L. patina, E. paten.]

1.

A shallow, open dish or vessel, usually of metal, employed for many domestic uses, as for setting milk for cream, for frying or baking food, etc.; also employed for various uses in manufacturing.

"A bowl or a pan."

Chaucer.

2. Manuf.

A closed vessel for boiling or evaporating. See Vacuum pan, under Vacuum.

3.

The part of a flintlock which holds the priming.

4.

The skull, considered as a vessel containing the brain; the upper part of the head; the brainpan; the cranium.

Chaucer.

5. Crp.

A recess, or bed, for the leaf of a hinge.

6.

The hard stratum of earth that lies below the soil. See Hard pan, under Hard.

7.

A natural basin, containing salt or fresh water, or mud.

Flash in the pan. See under Flash. -- To savor of the pan, to suggest the process of cooking or burning; in a theological sense, to be heretical.

Ridley. Southey.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pan, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Panned (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Panning.] Mining

To separate, as gold, from dirt or sand, by washing in a kind of pan.

[U. S.]

We . . . witnessed the process of cleaning up and panning out, which is the last process of separating the pure gold from the fine dirt and black sand. Gen. W. T. Sherman.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pan, v. i.

1. Mining

To yield gold in, or as in, the process of panning; -- usually with out; as, the gravel panned out richly.

2.

To turn out (profitably or unprofitably); to result; to develop; as, the investigation, or the speculation, panned out poorly.

[Slang, U. S.]

<-- Pan v.t. & i., to scan (a movie camera), usu. in a horizontal direction, to obtain a panoramic effect; also, to move the camera so as to keep the subject in view. 2. to criticise (a drama or literary work) harshly. -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.