One of the better bands to emerge out of the late-80s early-90s shoegzing scene.

Ian Masters (bass, vocals), Graeme Naysmith (guitar), and Chris Cooper (drums) formed the Pale Saints in Leeds, England, back in 1987. Immidiatly after their first London show (1988), they were signed by Ivo Watts Russell to his 4ad label.

Joined by Meriel Barham (guitar, vocals) of Lush fame as a full member, the band recorded their wonderful debut, 'Comforts of Madness' in 1990. The album looked like shoegzing, smelled like shoegazing, and most importantly, sounded like shoegazing. But shoegazing is mostly good and that's what this album demonstrates very very well.

After the recording of 1992s 'In Ribbons', Masters left the band, mainly due to the fact that he just despised touring. He was replaced with bassist Colleen Browne and, to the amazment of the press, the band continued with the same name. This was a shock mainly because the band was considered to be Masters' band, and he wrote most of it's material up until that point.

Masters' departure obviously affected the band, and was clearly seen in 1994s 'Slow Buildings', which was the weakest album the band has ever released. After touring around for a few years, the band called it quits in 1996. Too bad.

Discography:

Similar shoegazing goodness: My Bloody Valentine, Mazzy Star, Lush, Slowdive, Cocteau Twins, Galaxie 500.

With a bit of help from allmusic.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.