If you look at their bookshelves, you might find it arguable that Pagans are "People of the book", though not in the same way that the phrase is usually used. In general, extensive reading is encouraged, or at least should be, by every Pagan group. It is important to get multiple viewpoints and accounts; this does help with Instant Witch Syndrome, though is by no means a cure (and can lead to MegaPagan Syndrome). Here's a somewhat loose list of reading I'd recommend to the beginner. If you find a book disagreeable, figure out why. I do fully support the idea that something might just "not feel right", but in my experience, there are often reasons for disliking a book.

Of course, there are also those who will tell you that all modern books are utter bovine scatology, and often start talking about the good old days when information was hard to find and was much better when it was found. I tend to roll my eyes at such suggestions — Bonewits' Commentary on Sturgeon's Law was alive and well long before the first New Age Fair, and a lot of medieval grimoires had a different reality map in mind.

Note: This list is oriented towards the Pagan with online experience; obviously, if I was giving a list to someone who didn't spend much time online I'd come up with something a bit different.

Read a basic book about Wicca, even if Wicca isn't your path, because Wicca dominates the modern Pagan movement. Also, some groups that claim to be reconstructionists just do dressed-up Wicca. Basic books on Wicca include Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham (the one I've actually read in full), The Spiral Dance by Starhawk, and To Ride a Silver Broomstick by Silver Ravenwolf. According to reviews (I've not read it), Teen Witch by Silver Ravenwolf seems to focus more on magic than religion, and so wouldn't be a top choice from my standpoint.

If you're set on a path other than Wicca, you may wish to dig up basic books on it. I will wish you good luck, though; many books dress up Wicca, make wild guesses, or both. You are often better off finding websites on the topic, such as Ar nDraiocht Fein's page at http://www.adf.org/, or the Church of All Worlds website at http://www.caw.org/. From there, you will often be able to find recommended reading lists and reviews of books (or at least know who to trust in online reviews). If you're uncertain about your path, you can also do this, though you may find it more helpful to see how groups operate in the real world, or get the big picture.

Now, to help flesh out those basics books (particularly if you're only able to read just one), you should poke around (not necessarily slurp down wholesale) on some archive-type sites. The Witches' Voice, at http://www.witchvox.com/ is a prime resource in this way. More eclectic is the Pagan Library at http://www.paganlibrary.com/. Medea's Chariot, at http://www.medeaschariot.com/ is also rather eclectic. Daven's Journal, at http://www.davensjournal.com/, also has a variety of material. To get a different, semi-Pagan perspective that leads into the American Druid movements, read A Reformed Druid Anthology from the Reformed Druids of North America at http://www.student.carleton.edu/orgs/druids/ARDA/.

Now you should learn some about the Pagan movement's past. Drawing Down The Moon, by Margot Adler, is a good survey of Paganism up to about 1985 (it was written in 1975, updated in 1985, and then had the resources updated more recently). A Community of Witches, by Helen A. Berger speaks more about the social growth of modern groups, discusses the lifecycle of a group, and demonstrates that the Pagan movement is not the safe as the New Age movement (which almost makes up for her constantly confusing Neopaganism and Wicca). Isaac Bonewits' A Brief History of Witchcraft is almost certainly good (I've read its predecessors). There are some other books about history, but not having read them, I'll instead point you to online resources of historical interest. There is a good node on here about the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (particularly of interest to Wiccans, as it is one of the more obvious roots of their ritual), and Tim Maroney's essay on it at http://maroney.org/Essays/Pentagram_Ritual.html is worthwhile as well. At Lysator, there is a Pagan-oriented ftp site; because it is somewhat stale (as ftp sites tend to be these days), it too is of historical interest: ftp://ftp.lysator.liu.se/pub/religion/neopagan/. Margot Adler wrote "A Time For Truth" as part of her column for Beliefnet: http://about.beliefnet.com/frameset.asp?pageLoc=/story/40/story_4007_1.html&boardID=5077. At Catalyst's Point, there is an essay about the Burning Times and appropriate historical context at http://www.catalystpoint.org/castings/burning.html.

While we're on the topic of history and the Burning Times, if you're one of those people who likes to feel persecuted, please pick up a copy of How To Stop Worrying and Start Living and stop whining constantly. Thank you.

Looking at history in a different light, you will probably want to read some mythology. There's Bullfinch's Mythology, of course, and many other collections (forms of which can be found online). Celtic mythology is harder to track down due to the lack of written records; Alias Mother Jonez is probably more expert in this area than I, but you'll want to look for the Tain and the Mabinogion at least, and will want to read different sources more than you'll need to with Greek mythology. To take a look at a syncretic view, read the Golden Bough. Also, read about the myth of syncretism at http://maroney.org/Essays/The_Problems_of_Syncretism.html.

Now, you ought to get some skepticism in you. Read some David Hume (you should be able to find some of his essays online easily). Go to the Skepdic (http://skepdic.com/) and read everything under a topic that would be of interest. Read up at CSICOP's site (http://www.csicop.org/) too. Now, back to Tim Maroney's site, since he has a lovely essay on skepticism and mysticism at http://maroney.org/Essays/The_Included_Middle.html

At this time, you might feel a little like Ed Gruberman, because I've been focusing on religious aspects, history, and then (of all things) skepticism, and you want to know how to do magic. Read Isaac Bonewits' book Real Magic to explode your assumptions, particularly those you've picked up from discussions of magic along the way. Now, you probably should also learn about the Western esoteric tradition, since that (or a distorted version thereof) is often the dominant paradigm. So get your hands on some Israel Regardie (the Tree of Life comes to mind rather strongly as a reasonable text), or perhaps some Dion Fortune. At this point I'd advise being careful with Aleister Crowley, simply because he tends to being deep, a trickster, and ha ha only serious. If you can't find those, perhaps you might find Liber Null rather interesting; though (supposedly) a text on chaos magic, it is rather biased towards the Western occult view as compared to more state-of-the-art works. For sweetness and light, try Marion Weinstein’s Positive Magic; though fluffy, it isn't too far from what many people do. On E2, swankivy has written a Guide to Spellcasting that (to me) has some Wiccan overtones, but is a useful outline overall of ritual. Actually, swankivy, Wuukiee, and others (/msg me to be added) have written many good introductory Pagan nodes here on E2, and the aspiring Pagan would do well to look through their nodes.

Of course, there is one thing so vital that I forgot to mention it — find Pagan humor online and read it. There's a section the Pagan Library and a section at Medea's Chariot. Some more looking will turn up more. Why is reading Pagan humor so very important? Simply, it often conveys realities about Pagan practice and the Pagan viewpoint much better than anything else.

Now, this is just an introductory list, and one focusing on the basics of the religious/magical side of things. For instance, if I were making suggestions for someone wanting to be in a clergy position (not merely in the sense that each person is a Priest/ess), I might recommend learning group dynamics, diplomacy, financial management, counseling, and how to make ritual accessible.


Updated to note that swankivy simply had a (to me) Wiccan-like viewpoint rather than a Wiccan viewpoint.
Updated to note that humor is very, very useful.
Updated to make what swankivy had done clearer.

These books are on a variety of subjects related to Wicca, Witchcraft, and Paganism. I have not read anywhere near all of this list, so I warn you that most of these are not my personal recommendations. I thought that it would be better to simply compile the ones I've seen most recommended and let you choose the ones that sound good to you. I must let you know that I do not approve of any books that "sell" spells incorrectly, any books that try to make Wicca and Witchcraft seem all hip and trendy, any books that try to proselytize or advertise Wicca and Witchcraft as higher or better than other religions, or any books that have things in them that go against the Wiccan Rede. I *am* into easy introductions and I am not against books that cater to beginners. (I have met a lot of people who dislike "beginner" and "how-to" Wiccan or Witchcraft books because they apparently learned "the hard way" somehow, either through family traditions or through climbing the ranks in secret societies for years; they sometimes resent "secrets" being given away so easily, but I prefer knowledge to be shared.) On with the list of books!

Major introductory books on Wicca:

Raymond Buckland—Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft.
    (Workbook with lessons/exams with a British-coven AND modern-solitary perspective.)
Zsuzsanna Budapest—The Holy Book of Women's Mysteries.
    (Dianic-oriented feminist perspective, by and for women.)
Vivianne Crowley—Wicca: The Old Religion in the New Millennium.
    (Metaphysical and psychological aspects of the Craft explored and explained.)
Patricia Crowther—Lid Off the Cauldron: A Wicca Handbook.
    (British Gardnerian perspective, includes ritual basics and examples, very earthy.)
Scott CunninghamThe Truth about Witchcraft Today.
    (Run-down of the basic beliefs, to give to the curious to explain what it's about.)
Scott CunninghamWicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner.
    (Oriented more toward one who's interested in practicing than the above; an intro.)
Phyllis Curott—Book of Shadows.
    (Dispels misconceptions both old and new in an autobiographical spiritual journey.)
Francesca DeGrandis—Be A Goddess!
    (Funny and modern lesson-by-lesson introduction, from one of the Faery tradition.)
Janet and Stewart FarrarA Witches' Bible: The Complete Witches' Handbook.
    (Traditional Alexandrian British viewpoint with basics and coven-oriented rituals.)
Amber Laine Fisher—Philosophy of Wicca.
    (Deals with Wicca's place in a mostly Christian society, covers morality, deity, identity, sexuality, and more.)
Marian Green—A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic.
    (Solitary-oriented learning book with history and folk magick.)
Fiona Horne—Witch, A Magickal Journey.
 nbsp;nbsp; (A solitary witch gives a "hip and cool" version of Witchcraft not all will accept.)
Carl McColman—When Someone You Love is Wiccan.
    (More for the curious and/or concerned than the neophyte.)
Silver RavenWolf—To Ride a Silver Broomstick.
    (Geared toward the younger generation, introduction to Wicca.)
Lady Sabrina—Exploring Wicca: The Beliefs, Rites, and Rituals of the Wiccan Religion.
    (Short book with outlines of symbolism and folklore, plus basics of theory and practice.)
StarhawkThe Spiral Dance.
    (Poetic activist-oriented Goddess culture, with useful exercises and personal stories.)
Marion Weinstein—Positive Magic: Occult Self-Help.
    (Use of magick and basic principles, using magick to introduce the Craft itself.)

General not-strictly-Wiccan introductory books on Paganism:

Margot AdlerDrawing Down the Moon.
    (A journalistic cataloguing of Pagan groups in the 1970's and early '80's.)
Freya Aswynn—Northern Mysteries and Magick.
    (Norse Paganism with lots of practical Rune knowledge, written by a Rune master.)
Philip Carr-Gomm—The Druid Renaissance.
    (Explanation of modern DruidsCeltic influences and European spirituality.)
Vivianne Crowley—Phoenix from the Flame.
    (British perspective, overview of Pagan groups, with predictions about its future.)
Mara Freeman—Kindling the Celtic Spirit.
    (Practical advice on celebrating Celtic spirituality without any particular category in mind.)
Graham Harvey & Charlotte Hardman—Paganism Today.
    (Essay collection from Pagan authors, on types of Paganism and specific practice.)
Joyce & River Higginbotham—Paganism: An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religions.
    (Textbook from which to study the various branches of Paganism.)
Ellen Evert Hopman & Lawrence Bond—People of the Earth.
    (Interview collection with various Pagan figures, emphasis on non-traditional.)
Prudence Jones & Caitlín Matthews—Voices from the Circle.
    (Essay collection on various Pagan subjects, by respected Pagan authors.)
Terence McKenna—The Archaic Revival.
    (A hippie perspective links all the branches of non-mainstream views.)
Ann Moura—Witchcraft: An Alternative Path.
    (A Witchcraft primer with all the basics.)
Michael I. Niman—People of the Rainbow.
    (Nature-loving "Rainbow People" give their Pagan-like philosophy here.)
Loretta Orion—Never Again the Burning Times.
    (Study of Paganism, traced back to its British roots. Intro on healing and magick.)
Emma Restall Orr—Spirits of the Sacred Grove.
    (Life of a Druid Grove priestess.)
Maya Magee Sutton & Nicholas R. Mann—Druid Magic.
    (Practical knowledge about practicing the modern Druid faith.)

Intermediate Craft Books:

T. Thorn Coyle—Evolutionary Witchcraft
    (Gives a perspective from the Feri Tradition, not an intro book but very specific to its tradition.)
Scott Cunningham—Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner.
    (Sequel to Wicca; a guide for extending the principles to a deeper meaning in life.)
Francesca DeGrandis—Goddess Initiation.
    (A more advanced preparation for initiation, with pointers on where to begin walking.)
Gavin & Yvonne Frost—The Solitary Wiccan's Bible.
    (For the Wiccan student who has decided to study more about Wicca alone and needs a guide.)
Raven Grimassi—The Wiccan Mysteries.
    (Opens the doors to some mysterious practices of Witchcraft, mentions their importance.)
Raven Grimassi—Spirit of the Witch.
    (Goes deeper into the philosophy, religion, and magickal systems of the Old Ways, sort of like a Wicca 101 with more depth.)
Gwyn—Light from the Shadows, A Mythos of Modern Traditional Witchcraft.
    (Slightly deeper than beginner level, British perspective of Wiccan basics.)
Elen Hawke—The Sacred Round.
    (More in-depth look at various practices of the Craft.)
Frederic Lamond—Religion Without Beliefs.
    (Logical argument for experienced earth religions over revealed texts.)
Charles G. LelandAradia, or the Gospel of the Witches.
    (A collection of old Italian folklore passed down by some hereditary Witches.)
Janus-Mithras, Nuit Hilaria, & Mer-Amun—Wicca: The Ancient Way.
    (Peek into one Wiccan tradition from before Gardner, from an oft-unheard of tradition.)
Venecia Rauls—The Second Circle: Tools for the Advancing Pagan.
   (A good look at what to do once you're past the novice stage.)
Silver Ravenwolf—Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the New Generation.
    (An encyclopedic Book of Shadows with a bit more info than the usual Wicca 101 book.)
Ellen Cannon Reed—The Heart of Wicca.
    (Response to the hipness of Witchcraft today, with explanations of what it really is.)
Ellen Cannon Reed—The Witches' Qabala.
    (Wiccan-oriented introduction to studying the Jewish mystical Qabala.)
Ellen Cannon Reed—The Witches' Tarot.
    (Wiccan-oriented introduction to studying Tarot cards.)
Lady Sara—The Book of Light.
    (An intermediate-level grimoire.)
Patricia TelescoA Charmed Life.
    (A primer on incorporating magick into everyday life activities, such as cooking.)
Robin Wood—When, Why . . . If.
    (An earthy and practical layout of Wiccan ethics by a Tarot card artist.)

Advanced Craft Books:

Bengt Ankarloo & Stuart Clark—Witchcraft and Magic in Europe.
    (6-volume series documenting forms of Paganism over thousands of years.)
Judy Harrow—Wicca Covens: How to Start and Organize Your Own.
    (Help for coven leaders, with troubleshooting.)
Philip Heselton—Wiccan Roots: Gerald Gardner and the Modern Witchcraft Revival.
    (Historical look at Gardner's initiation and the involvement of Witches with WWII.)
Ronald Hutton—The Triumph of the Moon.
    (Historical look at Wicca from several of its roots and several of its successors.)
Amber K—Covencraft: Witchcraft for Three or More.
    (Reference for coven leaders, for starting and/or maintaining a good group.)
Aidan A. Kelly—Crafting the Art of Magic, Book I.
    (Collected BoS's of Gardner, plus commentary. There is no Book II.)
W.E. Liddell & Michael Howard—The Pickingill Papers.
    (Essay collection of vague origin, possibly documenting covens before Gardner.)
Edain McCoy—Advanced Witchcraft.
   (Emphasizes techniques and practices for a Witch who is not interested in being taught the basics by yet another book.)
Lady Maeve Rhea—Summoning Forth Wiccan Gods and Goddesses.
    (Solitary-oriented invocation guide.)
Patricia Telesco—Advanced Wicca.
    (Techniques and rituals designed to be of use to adepts or to attain adepthood.)

Early important books on Wicca, Witchcraft, Paganism, and the Occult; the Craft before modern times:

Raymond Buckland—Witchcraft from the Inside. Ancient and Modern Witchcraft.
Patricia Crowther—Witch Blood! The Diary of a Witch High Priestess.
Stewart Farrar—What Witches Do: The Modern Coven Revealed.
Athena Gardner—Gardnerian and Alexandrian Book of Shadows.
Gerald Gardner—A Goddess Arrives. High Magic's Aid. The Meaning of Witchcraft. Witchcraft Today.
Justine Glass—Witchcraft, the Sixth Sense, and Us.
June Johns—King of the Witches: The World of Alex Sanders.
Sybil Leek—The Complete Art of Witchcraft. Diary of a Witch.
Leo Louis Martello—Witchcraft: The Old Religion.
Rhiannon Ryall—West Country Wicca.
Alex Sanders—The Alex Sanders Lectures.
Lady Sheba—The Grimoire of Lady Sheba.
Doreen Valiente—An ABC of Witchcraft Past and Present. Witchcraft for Tomorrow.

Books on the Goddess & Female Mysteries:

Barbara Ardinger, Ph.D.—Goddess Meditations.
Nancy Blair—Goddesses for Every Season.
Sue Bowes—Woman's Magic.
C. C. Brondwin—Clan of the Goddess.
Caron Cadle & Jennifer Evans—Goddesses of the Celts.
Susan Cahill—Wise Women.
Carol P. Christ—Laughter of Aphrodite.
Jonathan Dee—Isis: Queen of Egyptian Magic.
Christine Downing—The Goddess: Mythological Images of the Feminine.
Janet and Stewart Farrar—The Witches' Goddess.
Selena Fox—Goddess Communion, Rituals.
Elinor W. Gadon—The Once and Future Goddess.
Yasmine Galenorn—Embracing the Moon.
Demetra George—Mysteries of the Dark Moon.
Marija Gimbutas—The Language of the Goddess. The Civilization of the Goddess. The Living Goddesses.
Esther Harding—Women's Mysteries: Ancient and Modern.
Buffie Johnson—Lady of the Beasts.
Ursula King—Women and Spirituality.
Barbara Black Koltuv—Weaving Woman.
Jean Markale—The Great Goddess.
Robert Masters—The Goddess Sekhmet.
Caitlín Matthews—The Elements of the Goddess.
Ffiona Morgan—The Goddess Spirituality Book.
Erich Newmann—The Great Mother: An Analysis of the Archetype.
Raphael Patai—The Hebrew Goddess.
The Prism Collective—Sisters of the Thirteen Moons.
DeTraci Regula—Mysteries of Isis: Her Worship & Magick.
Jennifer Reif—Mysteries of Demeter: Rebirth of the Pagan Way.
Alison Roberts—Hathor Rising.
Monica Sjöö and Barbara Mor—The Great Cosmic Mother.
Diane Stein—The Women's Spirituality Book.
Merlin Stone—When God was a Woman.
Kala Trobe—Invoke the Goddess.
Barbara G. Walker—Restoring the Goddess. Women's Rituals.

Books on the God & Male Mysteries:

William Anderson—Green Man.
Jean Shinoda Bolen, M.D.—Gods in Every Man.
Kerr Cuhulain—Wiccan Warrior.
A.J. Drew—Wicca Spellcraft for Men. Wicca for Men.
Janet and Stewart Farrar—The Witches' God: Lord of the Dance.
Eric L. Fitch—In Search of Herne the Hunter.
Yasmine Galenorn—Dancing with the Sun.
Nigel Jackson—Masks of Misrule.
Nicholas R. Mann—The Dark God.
Patricia Merivale—Pan the Goat-God.
Teresa Moorey and Howard Moorey—Pagan Gods for Today's Man.
Alan Richardson—Earth God Rising.
R.J. Stewart—Celebrating the Male Mysteries.
John Williamson—The Oak King, the Holly King, and the Unicorn.

Pagan History:

Isaac BonewitsWitchcraft: A Concise History.
Rose Earhart—The Diary of Dorcas Good, Child Witch of Salem.
Riane Eisler—The Chalice and the Blade: Our History, Our Future.
Cynthia Eller—The Myth of Matriarchal Prehistory: Why an Invented Past Won't Give Women a Future.
Helen Ellerbe—The Dark Side of Christian History.
Valerie I.J. Flint—The Rise of Magic in Early Medieval Europe.
Marija Gimbutas—The Goddesses and Gods of Old Europe.
Carlo Ginzburg—Ecstasies: Deciphering the Witches' Sabbath.
Christian J. Guyonvarc'h—The Making of a Druid.
Philip Heselton—Wiccan Roots: Gerald Gardner and the Modern Witchcraft Revival.
Frances Hill & Karen Armstrong—A Delusion of Satan.
Prudence Jones & Nigel Pennick—A History of Pagan Europe.
Aidan A. Kelly—Crafting the Art of Magic: A History of Modern Witchcraft.
Richard Kieckhefer—Magic in the Middle Ages.
Heinrich Kramer & James Sprenger—The Malleus Maleficarum.
Charles G. Leland—Etruscan Roman Remains.
Brian P. Levack—The Witch-Hunt in Early Modern Europe.
Lois Martin—History of Witchcraft.
Ralph Merrifield—The Archaeology of Ritual and Magic.
Margaret Murray—The God of the Witches. The Witch-Cult in Western Europe.
Wallace Noteskin—A History of Witchcraft in England.
Loretta Orion—Never Again the Burning Times.
Diane Purkiss—The Witch in History.
Enders A. Robinson—The Devil Discovered: Salem Witchcraft, 1692.
Candace Savage—Witch: The Wild Ride from Wicked to Wicca.
Leonard Shlain—The Alphabet Versus the Goddess: The Conflict Between Word and Image.
Michael Streeter—Witchcraft: A Secret History.

Ritual Instruction:

Alexandria—Life's Little Rituals.
Renee Beck & Sydney Barbara Metrick—The Art of Ritual.
Paul V. Beyerl—A Wiccan Bardo, Revisited.
Blacksun—The Spell of Making.
Pauline & Dan Campanelli—Pagan Rites of Passage.
Ivo Domínguez, Jr.—Castings: The Creation of Sacred Space.
Ed Fitch—Magical Rites from the Crystal Well. A Book of Pagan Rituals.
Gavin & Yvonne Frost—The Witch's Book of Magical Ritual.
Sandra Kynes—A Year of Ritual. Caitlín Matthews—Celtic Devotional.
Margie McArthur—Wisdom of the Elements.
Nigel Pennick—Crossing the Borderlines.
Herman Slater—A Book of Pagan Rituals.
Starhawk—The Pagan Book of Living and Dying.
Peg Streep—Altars Made Easy.
Patricia Telesco—The Wiccan Book of Ceremonies and Rituals.
Marion Weinstein—Earth Magic, A Dianic Book of Shadows.
Gail Wood—Rituals of the Dark Moon.

Seasonal and monthly celebrations:

Janice Broch & Veronica MacLer—Seasonal Dance: How to Celebrate the Pagan Year.
Laurie Cabot—Celebrate the Earth.
Pauline & Dan Campanelli—Wheel of the Year.
Gail Duff—Seasons of the Witch.
Gerina Dunwich—The Pagan Book of Halloween.
Janet and Stewart Farrar—Eight Sabbats for Witches.
Diana Ferguson—The Magickal Year.
Anna Franklin—Midsummer. Lammas.
Raven Grimassi—Beltane: Springtime Rituals, Lore & Celebration.
Richard W. Heinberg—Celebrate the Solstice.
Ronald Hutton—The Stations of the Sun: A History of the Ritual Year in Britain.
Amber K & Azrael Arynn K—Candlemas.
Alexei Kondratiev—The Apple Branch: A Path to Celtic Ritual.
Sandra Kynes—A Year of Ritual.
Máire MacNeill—The Festivals of Lughnasa
Kristin Madden—Mabon: Celebrating the Autumn Equinox
Jean Markale—The Pagan Mysteries of Halloween.
John Matthews—The Summer Solstice.
Edain McCoy—The Sabbats. Ostara.
Ed Morrow—The Halloween Handbook.
Ashleen O'Gaea—Celebrating the Seasons of Life: Samhain to Ostara.
Nigel Pennick—The Pagan Book of Days.
Willow Polson—Sabbat Entertaining.
Silver RavenWolf—Halloween.
Lori Reid—Moon Magic.
Anne Kent Rush—Moon, Moon.
Lady Sabrina—Celebrating Wiccan Spirituality.
Diane Stein—The Goddess Book of Days.
Ute York—Living By the Moon.

Magick:

Victor Banis—Charms, Spells and Curses for the Millions.
Antonia Beattie—The Girls' Handbook of Spells.
Itzhak Bentov—Stalking the Wild Pendulum.
Isaac Bonewits—Real Magic.
David Carroll & Barry Saxe—Natural Magic.
Kerr Cuhulain—Full Contact Magick.
Scott CunninghamSpell Crafts: Creating Magical Objects.
Sally Dubats—Natural Magick.
Ellen Dugan—7 Days of Magic.
Gerina Dunwich—The Wicca Spellbook. Dunwich's Guide to Gemstone Sorcery. Candlelight Spells.
Janet & Stewart Farrar—Spells and How They Work.
Nick Farrell—Making Talismans.
Ann-Marie Gallagher—Spellcraft.
Henri Gamache—The Master Book of Candle Burning: How to Burn Candles for Every Purpose.
Cal Garrison—The Old Girls' Book of Spells.
Marian Green—Wild Witchcraft.
Judika Illes—Emergency Magic.
Amber K—True Magick.
Gillian Kemp—The Good Spell Book.
Sirona Knight—Faery Magick.
Donald Michael Kraig—Modern Magick.
Sybil Leek—Cast Your Own Spell.
Edain McCoy—Spellworking for Covens.
Lilith McLelland—Spellcraft: A Primer for the Young Magician.
Timothy Miller, Ph.D.—How to Want What You Have.
Dorothy Morrison—Everyday Magic.
Shekhinah Mountainwater—Ariadne's Thread.
David Norris and Jacquemine Charrott-Lodwidge—The Book of Spells.
Louis Pauwels & Jacques Bergier—The Morning of the Magicians.
Laura Perry—Ancient Spellcraft.
Gwinevere Rain—Spellcraft for Teens.
Janina Renée—By Candlelight.
Lady Sabrina—Wiccan Magick for Beginners.
Gilly Sergiev—A Witch's Box of Magick.
Barbara Sher—Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want.
David Spangler—Everyday Miracles.
Patricia Telesco—Exploring Candle Magick.
Patricia Telesco & Rowan Hall—Animal Spirit.
Doreen Valiente—Natural Magic.
Nancy B. Watson—Practical Solitary Magic.

Ceremonial Magick and the Occult:

Henry Cornelius Agrippa—Three Books of Occult Philosophy.
Diane Ahlquist—Moon Spells.
Anthony Aveni—Behind the Crystal Ball.
Franz Bardon—Initiation into Hermetics: The Path of the True Adept.
Francis Barrett—The Magus: A Complete System of Occult Philosophy.
Richard Cavendish—The Black Arts.
Aleister Crowley—Magick.
Larry Dreller—The Beginner's Guide to Mediumship.
Gerina Dunwich—A Witch's Guide to Ghosts and the Supernatural.
Dion Fortune—The Mystical Qabalah.
John Michael Greer—Inside a Magical Lodge: Group Ritual in the Western Tradition.
Manly P. Hall—The Secret Teaching of All Ages.
Dennis William Hauck—The Emerald Tablet: Alchemy for Personal Transformation.
J. Finley Hurley—Sorcery.
Donald Michael Kraig—Modern Magick, Eleven Lessons in the High Magical Arts.
Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers—The Goetia: The Lesser Key of Solomon the King. The Key of Solomon.
Christopher Penczak—Spirit Allies: Meet Your Team from the Other Side.
Israel Regardie—The Complete Golden Dawn System of Magic.
Lewis Spence—The Encyclopedia of the Occult.
R.J. Stewart—The Underworld Initiation: A Journey Toward Psychic Transformation.
Colin Wilson—The Occult: A History.
Robert Anton Wilson—Cosmic Trigger, Volume I: Final Secret of the Illuminati.

Psychic Development:

M. J. Abadie—Your Psychic Potential.
Ted Andrews—How to Meet and Work with Spirit Guides. How to See and Read the Aura.
Echo Bodine—The Gift: Understand and Develop Your Psychic Abilities.
Joanne E. Brunn—Awakening Your Psychic Skills.
W.E. Butler—How to Read the Aura and Practice Psychometry, Telepathy, and Clairvoyance.
Edgar Cayce—Auras: An Essay on the Meaning of Colors.
Melita Denning & Osborne Phillips—The Development of Psychic Powers.
Kim Chestney—The Psychic Workshop.
Cassandra Eason—10 Steps to Psychic Power.
Dion FortunePsychic Self-Defense.
Shakti Gawain—Creative Visualization.
Justine Glass—Witchcraft, the Sixth Sense and Us.
Tom Graves—The Diviner's Handbook.
Keith Harary, Ph.D. & Pamela Weintraub—Have an Out of Body Experience in 30 Days.
William W. Hewitt—Psychic Development for Beginners.
David Lawson—How to Develop Your Sixth Sense.
Al G. Manning—Help Yourself with ESP.
Joanne D.S. McMahon, Ph.D. & Anna M. Lascurain, Esq.—Shopping for Miracles.
Robert A. Monroe—Journeys Out of the Body.
Marcia L. Pickands—Psychic Abilities: How to Train and Use Them.
Carl Rider—How to Improve Your Psychic Power.
Andrei Ridgeway—Psychic Living.
Lynn A. Robinson & LaVonne Carlson Finnerty—The Complete Idiot's Guide to Being Psychic.
Mike Samuels, M.D. & Hal Bennett—Spirit Guides: Access to Inner Worlds.
Mona Lisa Schultz, M.D., Ph.D.—Awakening Intuition.
José Silva—José Silva's Ultramind ESP System.
Julie Soskin—How Psychic Are You?
Diane Stein—All Women are Psychics.
Joules & Ken Taylor—Clairvoyance.
Jeffrey A. Wands—The Psychic in You.
Richard Webster—Aura Reading for Beginners.
Stuart Wilde—Sixth Sense.

Mysticism & Meditation:

Ted Andrews—How to Uncover your Past Lives.
Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki—Highways of the Mind.
Joan Budilovsky & Eve Adamson—The Complete Idiot's Guide to Meditation.
William Buhlman—Adventures Beyond the Body.
Ram Dass—Be Here Now.
Melita Denning & Osborne Phillips—Astral Projection.
Gill Edwards—Pure Bliss: The Art of Living in Soft Time.
Matthew Fox—Whee! We, Wee All the Way Home.
Adelaide Gardner—Meditation: A Practical Study.
Galen Gillotte—Book of Hours.
Linda Johnson—Meditation is Boring?
Jon Kabat-Zinn—Wherever You Go, There You Are.
Lawrence LeShan—How to Meditate.
Caitlín & John Matthews—The Western Way.
Carl McColman—The Aspiring Mystic.
John Novak—How to Meditate.
Geoffrey Parrinder—Mysticism in the World's Religions.
Osborne Phillips—Astral Projection Plain and Simple.
Wayne Teasdale—The Mystic Heart.

Divination:

Karri Allrich—A Witch's Book of Dreams. (Dream Divination)
Rosemary Altea—A Witch's Book of Dreams. (Dream Divination)
Cary F. Baynes—The Richard Wilhelm Translation of the I Ching. (I Ching)
Madeline Berwick-Brodeur & Lisa Lenard—The Complete Idiot's Guide to Astrology. (Astrology)
Caroline W. Casey—Making the Gods Work for You. (Astrology)
Scott Cunningham—Sacred Sleep, Dreams & Divination. (Dream Divination) Divination for Beginners. (All types)
Lauron W. DeLaurence—The Key to the Tarot. (Tarot)
Ellin Dodge—Numerology Has Your Number. (Numerology)
Ann Faraday, Ph.D.—The Dream Game. (Dream Divination)
Robin Gile & Lisa Lenard—The Complete Idiot's Guide to Palmistry. (Palmistry)
Mary K. Greer—Tarot for Your Self. (Tarot)
Johann Heyss—Initiation into Numerology. (Numerology)
Judith Hipskind—Palmistry: The Whole View. The New Palmistry. (Palmistry)
C.J.M. Hopking—The Practical Kabbalah Guidebook. (Kabbalah)
Michael Howard—The Magic of Runes. The Runes and Other Magical Alphabets. (Runes)
Sheila Lowe—The Complete Idiot's Guide to Handwriting Analysis. (Handwriting Analysis)
John Matthews—The World Atlas of Divination. (General)
Tre McCamley—Palm Decoder. (Palmistry)
Margaret Lange McWhorter—Tea Cup Tales. (Tea Leaves)
Nigel Pennick—Magical Alphabets. The Complete Illustrated Guide to Runes. (Runes and others)
Marci Pliskin & Shari L. Just, Ph.D.—The Complete Idiot's Guide to Interpreting Your Dreams. (Dream Divination)
Rachel Pollack—Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom. (Tarot)
Daiman Sharp—Simple Numerology. (Numerology)
Uma Sibley—Crystal Ball Gazing. (Scrying)
Jane Struthers—Read Your Future: The Ultimate Guide to Tarot, Astrology, the I Ching, and Other Divination Techniques from Around the World. (All types)
Patricia Telesco—Futuretelling. (General)
Edred Thorsson—Futhark: A Handbook of Rune Magic. (Runes)
Arlene Tognetti & Lisa Lenard—The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot & Fortune-Telling. (Tarot)
Joanna Martine Woolfolk—The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need. (Astrology)

Elemental Studies:

Scott CunninghamEarth, Air, Fire, and Water: More Techniques of Natural Magic.
Deborah Lipp—The Way of Four.
Robin Skelton & Margaret Blackwood—Earth, Air, Fire, Water: Pre-Christian and Pagan Elements in British Songs, Rhymes and Ballads.
Amber Wolfe—Elemental Power.

Beauty and Healing:

Jeanne Achterberg, Ph.D., Barbara Dossey, R.N., & Leslie Kolkmeier, R.N.—Rituals of Healing.
Barbara Ann Brennan—Hands of Light.
The Boston Women's Health Book Collective—Our Bodies, Ourselves for the New Century.
Marsha Burack—Reiki: Healing Yourself and Others.
Pamela Louise Clark & Jonathan Pawlik—Healing with Crystals.
Jack Croft—The Doctors' Book of Home Remedies for Men.
Nina L. Diamond—Purify Your Body.
George Downing & Anne Kent Rush—The Massage Book.
Barbara Ehrenreich and Deirdre English—Witches, Midwives, and Nurses: A History of Women Healers.
Janet & Stewart Farrar & Gavin Bone—The Healing Craft.
Rosemary Gladstar—Herbal Healing for Women.
Gay Hendricks, Ph.D.—Conscious Breathing.
Anodea Judith—Wheels of Life: A User's Guide to the Chakra System.
Jennifer Knapp—Beauty Magic.
Julia Lorusso & Joel Glick—Healing Stoned: The Therapeutic Use of Gems and Minerals.
Laura Perry—The Wiccan Wellness Book: Natural Healthcare for Mind, Body, and Spirit.
Jeanne Rose—Jeanne Rose's Herbal Guide to Inner Health.
Liz Simpson—The Book of Chakra Healing.
Diane Stein—All Women are Healers. Essential Reiki.
Andrew Weil—Natural Health, Natural Medicine.

Herbalism:

Judith Berger—Herbal Rituals.
Paul Beyerl— A Compendium of Herbal Magick. The Master Book of Herbalism.
Brett L. Bolton—The Secret Powers of Plants.
Deni Bown—The Herb Society of America Encyclopedia of Herbs and Their Uses.
Lesley Bremness—The Complete Book of Herbs.
W. B. Crow—The Occult Properties of Herbs.
Nicholas Culpeper—Culpeper's Complete Herbal and English Physician.
Scott Cunningham--The Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs. Magical Herbalism.
James A. Duke, Ph.D.—The Green Pharmacy.
Rosemary Gladstar & Pamela Hirsch—Planting the Future: Saving Our Medicinal Herbs.
James Green—The Male Herbal.
M. Grieve—A Modern Herbal.
Barbara Griggs—The Green Witch Herbal.
Ellen Evert Hopman—A Druid's Herbal for the Sacred Earth Year.
Paul Huson—Mastering Herbalism.
Alma Hutchens—Handbook of Native American Herbs.
John K'Eogh—An Irish Herbal.
Patricia Kaminski & Richard Katz—Flower Essence Repertory.
Jethro Kloss—Back to Eden.
Claire Kowalchik and William Hylton—Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs.
Joseph Wood Krutch—Herbal.
Julia Lawless—The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils.
John Lust—The Herb Book.
Richard Mabey et. al.—The New Age Herbalist.
J.E. Meyer—The Herbalist.
Richard Alan Miller—The Magical and Ritual Use of Herbs.
Jeanne Rose—Herbs and Things: Jeanne Rose's Herbal.
Jack Sanders—Hedgemaids and Fairy Candles.
Susun S. Weed—Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year. Wise Woman Herbal: Healing Wise.
Gaea and Shadnor Weiss—Growing and Using Healing Herbs.
Jude C. Williams—Jude's Herbal Home Remedies.
Matthew Wood—Practice of Traditional Herbalism.

Shamanism:

Nathaniel Altman—The Deva Handbook.
Ted Andrews—Animal-speak.
D.J. Conway—Advanced Celtic Shamanism.
Tom Cowan—Fire in the Head. Shamanism as a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life.
Mircea Eliade—Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy.
Michael Harner—The Way of the Shaman.
Sandra Ingerman—Soul Retrieval.
Olga Kharitidi, M.D.—Entering the Circle.
Serge Kahili King, Ph.D.—Urban Shaman.
Robert Lawlor—Voices of the First Day.
John Perkins—Shape Shifting. The World as You Dream It.
Gabrielle Roth—Maps to Ecstasy. Sweat Your Prayers.
José Stevens, Ph.D. & Lena S. Stevens—Secrets of Shamanism.

The Earth:

David Abram—The Spell of the Sensuous.
Cass Adams—The Soul Unearthed.
Paul Devereux—The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Ancient Earth Mysteries.
Paul Devereux, John Steele, & David Kubrin—Earthmind.
Susan Griffin—Woman and Nature.
Dolores LaChappelle—Sacred Land, Sacred Sex, Rapture of the Deep.
Jerry Mander—In the Absence of the Sacred.
Melody—Love is in the Earth.
Shirley Nicholson & Brenda Rosen—Gaia's Hidden Life.
Jacqueline Memory Paterson—Tree Wisdom.
Nigel Pennick—Celtic Sacred Landscapes.
Rachel Pollack—The Body of the Goddess.
Elizabeth Roberts & Elias Amidon—Earth Prayers From Around the World.
Andreas Suchantke—Eco-Geography.

The Home, the Garden, the Kitchen:

Alexandria—Wiccan Feng Shui.
Karri Allrich—Recipes from a Vegetarian Goddess. Cooking By Moonlight. Cooking By the Seasons.
Ariana—House Magic.
Joanne Asala—Celtic Folklore Cooking.
Bridget Boland—Gardener's Magic and Other Old Wives' Lore. Old Wives' Lore for Gardeners.
Marie Bruce—How To Create a Magical Home.
Scott Cunningham—The Magic in Food. Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen.
Scott Cunningham & David Harrington—The Magical Household.
Carolina Da Silva—Sacred Spaces.
Lady Galadriel—The Magick of Incenses & Oils. Magickal and Practical Scented Gifts.
Ann-Marie Gallagher—Magical Spells for Your Home.
Leslie Gordon—A Country Herbal. Green Magic.
Raven Grimassi—The Witch's Familiar.
Titania Hardie—Witch in the Kitchen.
Dorothy Jacob—A Witch's Guide to Gardening.
Karen Kingston—Clear Your Clutter With Feng Shui.
Jim Knopf et al.—Natural Gardening: A Nature Company Guide.
Susan McClure—The Herb Gardener: A Guide for All Seasons.
Elizabeth Moran & Val Biktashev—The Complete Idiot's Guide to Feng Shui.
Elizabeth Pepper & John Wilcock—The Witches' Almanac.
Laurel Robertson, Carol Flinders, & Brian Ruppenthal—The New Laurel's Kitchen: A Handbook for Vegetarian Cookery & Nutrition.
Peg Streep—Spiritual Gardening.
Patricia Telesco—Gardening with the Goddess. A Kitchen Witch's Cookbook. The Kitchen Witch Companion. A Witch's Beverages and Brews.
Lillian Too—Essential Feng Shui.
Jamie Wood and Tara Seefeldt—The Wicca Cookbook.
Wylundt (Steven R. Smith)—Wylundt's Book of Incense.

Pagan Parenting:

Kristin Madden—Pagan Parenting: Spiritual, Magical & Emotional Development of the Child.
Margie McArthur—Wicca Craft for Families.
Ashleen O'Gaea—The Family Wicca Book: The Craft for Parents and Children. Raising Witches.
Ceisiwr Serith—The Pagan Family: Handing the Old Ways Down.
Starhawk, Diane Baker, & Anne Hill—Circle Round: Raising Children in Goddess Traditions.

Folklore:

Janet and Colin Bord—Earth Rites: Fertility Practices in Pre-Industrial Britain.
Walter L. Brenneman, Jr. & Mary G. Brenneman—Crossing the Circle at the Holy Wells of Ireland.
Katherine Briggs—The Fairies in Tradition and Literature. An Encyclopedia of Fairies.
Alexander Carmichael—Carmina Gadelica.
Julian Cope—The Modern Antiquarian.
Brian Day—Chronicle of Celtic Folk Customs.
Robert A. Georges & Michael Owen Jones—Folkloristics: An Introduction.
T. Gwynn Jones—Welsh Folklore and Folk Customs.
Maria Leach—Funk & Wagnall's Standard Dictionary of Folklore, Mythology and Legend.
F. Marian McNeill—The Silver Bough.
Dáithí Ó hÓgáin—Myth, Legend & Romance.
Alexander Porteus—Forest Folklore, Mythology and Romance.
Silver RavenWolf—American Folk Magick.
Ruth E. St. Leger-Gordon—Witchcraft and Folklore of Dartmoor.
Jacqueline Simpson & Steve Roud—A Dictionary of English Folklore.
Robin Skelton & Margaret Blackwood—Earth, Air, Fire, Water.
R.J. Stewart—Earth Light : The Ancient Path to Transformation Rediscovering the Wisdom of Celtic & Faery Lore.
Marjorie Tallman—Dictionary of American Folklore.

Mythology:

Clive Barrett—The Egyptian Gods and Goddesses.
Anne M. Birrell—Chinese Mythology.
Joseph Campbell—The Hero With a Thousand Faces.
Tom P. Cross & Clark Harris Slover—Ancient Irish Tales.
Alain Daniélou—The Myths and Gods of India.
Clyde W. Ford—The Hero With an African Face.
Sir James George Frazer—The Golden Bough.
Stuart Gordon—Encyclopedia of Myths and Legends.
Robert Graves—The Greek Myths. The White Goddess.
Kevin Osborn & Dana L. Burgess, Ph.D.—The Complete Idiot's Guide to Classical Mythology.
Jaan Puhvel—Comparative Mythology.
Charles Squire—Celtic Myth and Legend.
Hyemeyohsts Storm—Seven Arrows.

Celtic Study:

C. C. Brondwin—Clan of the Goddess.
Philip Carr-Gomm—The Druid Way.
D.J. Conway—Celtic Magic. By Oak, Ash and Thorn. Celtic Myth and Magick.
W.Y. Evans-Wentz—The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries.
Mara Freeman—The Celtic Spirit.
Pattalee Glass-Koentop—Year of Moons, Season of Trees: Mysteries and Rites of Celtic Tree Magic.
Miranda J. Green—Dictionary of Celtic Myth and Legend.
Murry Hope—Practical Celtic Magic.
James MacKillop—Dictionary of Celtic Mythology.
Caitlín Matthews—Mabon and the Mysteries of Britain.
Caitlín & John Matthews—The Encyclopedia of Celtic Wisdom.
Edain McCoy—Celtic Myth and Magick.
Dáithí Ó hÓgáin—The Sacred Isle.
John O'Donohue—Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom.
Alwyn & Brinley Rees—Celtic Heritage.
Anne Ross—Pagan Celtic Britain: Studies in Iconography and Tradition.
R.J. Stewart—Celtic Gods, Celtic Goddesses.

Pagan Studies in Other Cultures:

Jocelyn Almond & Keith Seddon—Egyptian Paganism for Beginners.
Apuleis—The Transformations of Lucius Otherwise Known as The Golden Ass.
Charlotte Berney—Fundamentals of Hawaiian Mysticism.
Joseph Epes Brown—The Sacred Pipe: Black Elk's Account of the Seven Rites of the Oglala Sioux.
Raymond BucklandGypsy Love Magick.
E.A. Budge—Egyptian Book of the Dead. Egyptian Magic.
Walter Burkert— Ancient Mystery Cults. Greek Religion.
D.J. Conway—The Magick of the Gods and Goddesses.
Hilda Ellis Davidson—The Lost Beliefs of Northern Europe. Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe.
Isha Schwaller de Lubicz—The Opening of the Way.
Cassandra Eason—Ancient Egyptian Magic.
Raymond Faulkner—Egyptian Book of the Dead.
M. Isidora Forrest—Isis Magic.
David R. Kinsley—Hindu Goddesses.
Clyde Kluckhorn—Navajo Witchcraft.
Patrick Jasper Lee—We Borrow the Earth: An Intimate Portrait of the Gypsy Shamanic Tradition and Culture.
Marvin W. Meyer—The Ancient Mysteries: A Sourcebook of Sacred Texts.
John G. Neihardt—Black Elk Speaks: Being the Life Story of a Holy Man of the Oglala Sioux.
Marc Simmons—Witchcraft in the Southwest: Spanish and Indian Supernaturalism on the Rio Grande.
Elsa-Brita Titchenell—The Masks of Odin: Wisdom of the Ancient Norse.
Joseph Toledano—Egyptian Magic.
Paramahansa Yogananda—Autobiography of a Yogi.

Reference Books:

Rex E. Bills—The Rulership Book.
June G. Bletzer, Ph.D.—The Encyclopedic Psychic Dictionary.
Miranda Bruce-Mitford—The Illustrated Book of Signs and Symbols.
Raymond Buckland—The Witch Book: The Encylopedia of Witchcraft, Wicca and Neo-Paganism.
Kerr Cuhulain—The Law Enforcement Guide to Wicca.
Scott Cunningham—Cunningham's Encylopedia of Crystal, Gem, & Metal Magic. Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs.
Gerina Dunwich—A Modern Witch's Complete Sourcebook.
Selena Fox et. al.—Circle Guide to Pagan Groups.
Lady Galadriel—A New Wiccan Book of the Law.
Leonard George, Ph.D.—Alternative Realities.
Rosemary Ellen Guiley—The Encyclopedia of Witches and Witchcraft. Harper's Encyclopedia of Mystical & Paranormal Experience.
Michael Jordan—Encyclopedia of Gods.
Carl McColman—The Well-Read Witch.
David Pickering—Cassell's Dictionary of Witchcraft.
Barbara G. Walker—The Woman's Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects. The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets.

Scientific Perspectives Useful and Interesting to Pagan Readers:

Greg Braden—The Isaiah Effect.
Fritjof Capra—The Tao of Physics. The Turning Point: Science, Society, and the Rising Culture.
Brian Greene--The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory
Stephen Hawking—The Illustrated Brief History of Time.
Joseph Head & S.L. Cranston—Reincarnation: The Phoenix Fire Mystery.
Douglas R. Hofstadter—Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, A Metaphorical Fugue on Minds and Machines in the Spirit of Lewis Carroll.
Michio Kaku—Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the 10th Dimension.
Robert Lawlor—Sacred Geometry: Philosophy and Practice.
J.E. Lovelock—Gaia: A New Look at Life On Earth.
Hamish Miller & Paul Broadhurst—The Sun and the Serpent: An Investigation into Earth Energies.
Michael S. Schneider—A Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe.
Leonard Shlain—The Alphabet vs. the Goddess.
Ken Wilber—A Brief History of Everything.
Fred Alan Wolf, Ph.D.—Mind into Matter: A New Alchemy of Science and Spirit.
Mark B. Woodhouse—Paradigm Wars: Worldviews for a New Age.

Psychological Perspectives Useful and Interesting to Pagan Readers:

Brad Blanton, Ph.D.—Radical Honesty.
Daniel Goleman—Emotional Intelligence.
Carl G. Jung—The Essential Jung: Selected Writings.
Theodore Roszak, Mary E. Gomes, & Allen D. Kanner—Ecopsychology.
Bertrand Russell—The Conquest of Happiness.

Community Perspectives Useful and Interesting to Pagan Readers:

Christina Baldwin—Calling the Circle.
Gus DiZerega, Ph.D.—Pagans & Christians.
Kenneth C. Haugk—Antagonists in the Church.
Raven Kaldera & Tannin Schwartzstein—The Urban Primitive.
Carole Kammen & Jodi Gold—Call to Connection.
Aaron Lynch--Thought Contagion: How Belief Spreads Through Society.
Arnold Mindell—Sitting in the Fire.
Hans Sebald--Witch-Children: From Salem Witch-Hunts to Modern Courtrooms.
Starhawk—Dreaming the Dark: Magic, Sex, and Politics. Truth or Dare, Encounters with Power, Authority, and Mystery.
Dudley Weeks, Ph.D.—The Eight Essential Steps to Conflict Resolution.

Spiritual and Pagan Perspectives on Art and Creativity:

Rosina-Fawzia Al-Rawi—Grandmother's Secrets: The Ancient Rituals and Healing Power of Belly Dancing.
Charles Arnold—Ritual Body Art.
Bertrand Harris Bronson—The Singing Tradition of Child's Popular Ballads.
Julia Cameron—The Artist's Way.
Eleanor & Philip Harris—The Crafting and Use of Ritual Tools.
Jim Hrisoulas—The Complete Bladesmith.
Hugin the Bard—A Bard's Book of Pagan Songs.
Evan John Jones—Sacred Mask Sacred Dance.
Erica Jong—Witches.
George Leonard—Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment.
Kate Marks—Circle of Song: Songs, Chants, and Dances for Ritual and Celebration.
Julie Forest Middleton—Songs for Earthlings: A Green Spirituality Songbook.
Layne Redmond—When the Drummers Were Women.
Gabriele Lusser Rico—Writing the Natural Way.
Ruth St. Dennis—Wisdom Comes Dancing.

Relationships, Sexuality, and Gender Issues Related to the Pagan Life:

Carol J. Adams—Ecofeminism and the Sacred.
Margo Anand—The Art of Sexual Ecstasy.
Deborah Anapol, Ph.D.—Polyamory, the New Love Without Limits.
Rufus C. Camphausen—The Encyclopedia of Sacred Sexuality.
Cynthia Jane Collins & Jane Raeburn—Building a Magickal Relationship.
Irene Diamond & Gloria Feman Orenstein—Reweaving the World.
Nik Douglas & Penny Slinger—Sexual Secrets: The Alchemy of Ecstasy.
A.J. DrewWicca for Couples.
Cassandra Eason—A Magical Guide to Love and Sex.
Riane Eisler—Sacred Pleasure.
Arthur Evans—Witchcraft and the Gay Counterculture.
Julie Henderson—The Lover Within: Opening to Energy in Sexual Practice.
Sirona Knight—Moonflower: Erotic Dreaming with the Goddess.
Robert Lawlor—Earth Honoring: The New Male Sexuality.
Kathleen McCormack—Magic for Lovers.
Kenneth Ray Stubbs—Women of the Light: The New Sexual Healers.
Noël Sturgeon—Ecofeminist Natures: Race, Gender, Feminist Theory and Political Action.
Brandy Williams—Ecstatic Ritual: Practical Sex Magic.

Perspectives from Non-Pagan Points of View:

Brooks Alexander—Witchcraft Goes Mainstream: Uncovering Its Alarming Impact on You and Your Family.
Tim Baker—Dewitched: What You Need to Know about the Dangers of Witchcraft and Wicca.
Francesco Maria Guazzo—Compendium Maleficarum. Malleus Maleficarum.
Craig Hawkins—Witchcraft: Exploring the World of Wicca. Goddess Worship, Witchcraft and Neo-Paganism.
T. Luhrmann—Persuasions of the Witch's Craft.
Steve Russo—What's the Deal With Wicca?: A Deeper Look into the Dark Side of Today's Witchcraft.
Judith Spencer—Satan's High Priest.
Steve Wohlberg—Hour of the Witch: Harry Potter, Wicca Witchcraft and the Bible.
Ravi Zacharias—Jesus Among Other Gods.

Pagan, Wiccan, and Witchcraft Books for Teens:

Marina Baker—Spells for Teenage Witches.
C. C. Brondwin—Maiden Magick.
Fiona Horne—Witchin': A Handbook for Teen Witches.
Lauren Manoy—Where to Park Your Broomstick.
Teresa Moorey—Spellbound: The Teenage Witch's Wiccan Handbook.
Anthony Paige—Rocking the Goddess: Campus Wicca for the Student Practitioner.
Gwinevere Rain—Spellcraft for Teens.
Silver RavenWolf—Teen Witch: Wicca for a New Generation.
Patricia Telesco—The Teen Book of Shadows.
Jamie Wood—The Teen Spell Book.

Fiction for Pagan Adults:

A. A. Attanasio—The Dragon and the Unicorn.
Margaret Atwood—Surfacing.
Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Mists of Avalon.
Ernest Callenbach—Ectopia: A Novel.
Elizabeth Cunningham—The Return of the Goddess: A Divine Comedy. Daughter of the Shining Isles.
Lisa Croll Di Dio—Sherwood Forest.
Rene Donovan—Me 'n God in the Coffee Shop.
Rosemary Edghill—Bell, Book, and Murder.
Cerridwen Fallingstar--The Heart of the Fire.
Dion Fortune—The Sea Priestess.
Monica Furlong—Juniper. Wise Child.
Richard Grant—In the Land of Winter. Tex and Molly in Afterlife.
Robert A. Heinlein—Stranger in a Strange Land.
Clysta Kinstler—The Moon Under Her Feet.
Katherine Kurtz—Lammas Night.
Charlotte Lawrence—The Rag Bone Man.
Reyna Thera Lorele—The Archer King.
Naomi Mitchison—The Corn King and the Spring Queen.
Diana L. Paxson—The Wolf and the Raven.
Terry Pratchett—Wyrd Sisters.
Daniel QuinnIshmael.
Tom RobbinsJitterbug Perfume.
M.R. Sellars—Harm None: A Rowan Gant Investigation. Never Burn a Witch.
Starhawk—The Fifth Sacred Thing. Walking to Mercury.
Whitley Strieber—Cat Magic.
Kala Trobe—The Magick Bookshop.

Books for Young Pagan Children:

Caron Cadle & Jennifer Evans—Goddesses of the Celts.
Barbara Cooney—Only Opal: The Diary of a Young Girl.
Debra Frasier—On the Day You Were Born.
Susan Jeffers—Brother Eagle, Sister Sky: A Message from Chief Seattle.
Clare Walker Leslie & Frank E. Gerace—The Ancient Celtic Festivals: And How We Celebrate Them Today.
Becky McCarley & Phil Travers—Herman's Magical Universe.
Lynn Plourde & Greg Couch—Wild Child.
Schim Schimmel—Children of the Earth . . . Remember. Dear Children of the Earth. The Family of Earth.
Douglas Wood & Cheng-Khee Chee—Old Turtle, Old Turtle and the Broken Truth.
Douglas Wood & P.J. Lynch—Grandad's Prayers of the Earth.

Books for Older Pagan Children:

T.A. Barron—The Ancient One.
Francesca Lia BlockDangerous Angels.
Nancy Bond—A String in the Harp.
Eoin ColferArtemis Fowl.
Susan Cooper—The Dark is Rising series.
Diane Duane—The Young Wizards series.
Lois Duncan—Down a Dark Hall, The Third Eye, A Gift of Magic, and Stranger with My Face.
Diana Wynne Jones—Charmed Life, The Lives of Christopher Chant, The Magicians of Caprona, Witch Week.
Eloise McGraw—The Moorchild.
Philip PullmanHis Dark Materials series.
J.K. Rowling—All the Harry Potter Books.
Nancy Springer—The Hex Witch of Seldom.

Pagan periodicals:

Aamulet Newsletter
Accord
Acorns
Arcanum: A Magickal Journal
Blessed Bee
Calling the Quarters
Circle Magazine
Circle Network News
Covenant of the Goddess Newsletter
The Dreamweaver
Eldar's Cauldron
Enchanté
Enchanting News
Gnosis
Green Egg
Green Man
Hearth Circles
IsToBe!
Magical Blend
New Moon Rising
Open Circle
Out of the Broom Closet
Pangaia
SageWoman
Shaman's Drum
Silver Chalice Magazine
The Silver Pentagram
Solitary Path
Solitary, By Choice or Chance
Voice of the Anvil
Witch's Brew

Important Pagan Web Sites:

Ariadne Spider: www.ariadnespider.com (search engine)
Avatar Search: www.avatarsearch.com (search engine)
Circle Sanctuary: www.circlesanctuary.org
Covenant of the Goddess: www.cog.org
Encyclopedia Mythica: www.pantheon.org
Fellowship of the Earth: www.fote.org
Gardnerian Agora: www.gardnerian.net
Isaac Bonewits' Home Page: www.neopagan.net
Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance: www.religioustolerance.org
The Pagan Federation: www.paganfed.demon.co.uk
The Third Road: www.well.com/~zthirdrd
The Well-Read Witch: www.wellreadwitch.com
The Witches' Voice: www.witchvox.com

And though my site on the subject is not known as an "important" one, it is fairly straightforward and interesting to beginners: members.aol.com/ivycleartoes/pentacle.html .

If this seems too overwhelming a list for a beginner, simply start with some of the basics listed near the top, and pick out the titles that call to you, and read their reviews online. See if each seems like a book you'd like to check out. Then as you progress in mastery or want to learn on other specialties, try the other categories as appropriate. Happy Crafting!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.