Start with a little music - use that right-clicky thing to listen while you read...

Father Mike is a cool guy who likes hot stuff. In this case, we're talking salsa - but he thinks his first and current wife is pretty hot stuff, too.

Mike is an Anglican mission priest serving the Iglesia Anglicana de la Region Central de America in Panama. He loves to cook, and tells me his adopted country's cuisine is as multi-cultural as its society: "Latino Panamanians don't like spicy food and therefore don't eat foods with much heat. The Afro-Antillano (West Indian) Panamanians love hot stuff, as do Chinese-Panamanians and Hindu/Pakistani-Panamanians."

This condiment falls into the category of "much heat," and the Padre and his Bishop give it five stars for both quality and fire. "There's nothing like it on the planet," claims Mike. "But I confess when we make this at home we don't worry about using the exact measurements in the recipe." To make this fiery concoction on your planet:


Afro-Panameño Peppah Sauce

Find your blender; wash the blades to remove any last traces of boat drinks, protein shakes or smoothies.

Put on a pair of disposable gloves with a snug fit; this is serious advice, you are about to handle very hot peppers rated at 200,000-300,000+ Scoville units. Cut the tops off the peppers, scoop out the seeds, and cut them in rough dice. Toss them in the blender. Remove your gloves and toss them into the trash, then immediately wash your hands with soap and hot water. Wash them again, please.

Add the onions, garlic, mustard and vinegar to the blender jar. Sprinkle in the salt and turmeric. Blend all the ingredients until smooth - this is a puree, not a chunky relish. Pour salsa into a glass jar, cover tightly, and refrigerate. Mike likes to serve this on fried fish.

Remember, life's too short for mild salsa.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.