Protocol Independant Multicast

comes in three flavors (PIM Dense, PIM Sparse, PIM Sparse- Dense) that, historically were supposed to solve different problems. Consensus is that PIM Dense is fundamentally flawed and should not be used.

RFC 2362 - PIM Sparse June 98

PIM

Ice Hockey: Penalties In Minutes

Strictly speaking, this statistic keeps track of the number of minutes a player has spent in the penalty box. A minor penalty and major penalty, the most commonly called infractions, result in 2 and 5 minutes, respectively, being added to a player's PIM stat. Interestingly, this stat does not reflect the actual number of minutes spent in the penalty box, since a minor penalty will expire if the opposing team scores.

More interestingly, this statistic is a measure of the feistiness of a given player. The higher your PIMs, the more time you have spent in the sin bin, the nastier you are likely to be. Generally speaking, if you have consistently high PIMs, your other stats tend to suffer (like goals, assists, etc.). However, some particularly talented hockey players have high points and high PIMs. Most players with high PIMs also tend to have a large number of hits recorded as well. Of course this is merely an observed tendency, and by no means a rule. There are some players who are simply dirty and serve no useful purpose on a team except to try and intimidate the opposition.

Personal Information Manager.

A PIM is a computer program designed to manage people's notes: addresses TODO lists, calendar information, etc.

Examples: PDAs are very often (only) used as a PIM. Some examples of PIM software: Outlook, Lotus Notes, Microsoft Address Book.

Traditionally, PIM software have a strict structure on the data - almost like a relational database.

However, there is a whole class of PIM software systems using a much more relaxed structure, i.e. free form databases. The simplest example is notepad - the user creates his own structure - nothing is enforced. Other more complex software helps the user structuring the data, e.g. outliners. A key example of an outliner is TreePad, organizing your notes in a tree structure.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.