overflow pdl = O = overrun screw

overrun n.

1. [techspeak] Term for a frequent consequence of data arriving faster than it can be consumed, esp. in serial line communications. For example, at 9600 baud there is almost exactly one character per millisecond, so if a silo can hold only two characters and the machine takes longer than 2 msec to get to service the interrupt, at least one character will be lost. 2. Also applied to non-serial-I/O communications. "I forgot to pay my electric bill due to mail overrun." "Sorry, I got four phone calls in 3 minutes last night and lost your message to overrun." When thrashing at tasks, the next person to make a request might be told "Overrun!" Compare firehose syndrome. 3. More loosely, may refer to a buffer overflow not necessarily related to processing time (as in overrun screw).

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

O`ver*run" (?), v. t. [imp. Overran (?); p. p. Overrun; p. pr. & vb. n. Overrunning. ]

1.

To run over; to grow or spread over in excess; to invade and occupy; to take possession of; as, the vine overran its trellis; the farm is overrun with witch grass.

Those barbarous nations that overran the world. Spenser.

2.

To exceed in distance or speed of running; to go beyond or pass in running.

Ahimaaz run by the way of the plain, and overran Cushi. 2 Sam. xviii. 23.

3.

To go beyond; to extend in part beyond; as, one line overruns another in length.

⇒ In machinery, a sliding piece is said to overrun its bearing when its forward end goes beyond it.

4.

To abuse or oppress, as if by treading upon.

None of them the feeble overran. Spenser.

5. Print. (a)

To carry over, or back, as type, from one line or page into the next after, or next before.

(b)

To extend the contents of (a line, column, or page) into the next line, column, or page.

 

© Webster 1913.


O`ver*run", v. i.

1.

To run, pass, spread, or flow over or by something; to be beyond, or in excess.

Despised and trodden down of all that overran. Spenser.

2. Print.

To extend beyond its due or desired length; as, a line, or advertisement, overruns.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.