Orange Prize for Fiction is an annual prize awarded for the best full-length novel written in English by a woman and published in the United Kingdom.

The prize originated with a group of women involved in publishing who decided in 1992 that they wanted to introduce a new book prize which "put readers at the centre". After some time searching for finance they secured an anonymous donor who was prepared to fund the the prize money itself (currently £30,000) and a a limited edition bronze figurine known as the 'Bessie'. In 1995 they approached the mobile telecommunications company Orange who agreed to sponsor the prize, and the first award was made in 1996.

The Orange Prize is run by a Management Committee, comprised of representatives from the partners involved in the Prize, including the Project Director, the website editor, the Honorary Director, two charitable organizations, the Booktrust and The Reading Agency, the sponsors Orange as well as the donor who remains anonymous.

There is also an Orange Award for New Writers first established in 2005 to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the Orange Prize. This is restricted to first works of fiction, but the scope extends to both short story collections and novellas in addition to novels, with the winner receiving a £10,000 bursary.

Winners of the Orange Prize for Fiction

Winners of the Orange Award for New Writers

References

www.orangeprize.co.uk
www.bennett.com.au/awards/book_awards.php?id=32

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.