After the success of the Double-Chocolate Rum Cake I made from The Cake Mix Doctor Is In, I decided to stick with the book for my second cake ever. After all, if I can do everything right again, then I'll feel more prepared to try a cake from scratch soon after. However, my friend whose birthday it was seemed to like to pretend her birthday wasn't anytime soon, and refused to tell me what kind of cake she wanted/preferred.

So I chose. There were a number of possibilities, but eventually the thought of the nice orange taste of the Orange Dreamsicle Cake convinced me. I'd give it a try, and in the process, I'd have to learn another minor detail - how to make fresh orange zest. Yes, I know it is a small thing, but I'd never done it before.

This cake turned out just as delicious as the other one I made from this book, wonderfully moist and flavorful. This has convinced me that the cookbook is surely worth keeping, as I'll always have cake ideas for a hurry, and when I'm more experienced, I'm sure the recipes will work with a fresh mix of dry ingredients instead of that stuff from a box. Once again, though, evidence that a cake mix doen't have to taste like one!

Orange Dreamsicle Cake

Cake:

flour
1 package (18.25 oz) yellow cake mix
3/4 cup Miracle Whip (or similar product)
1 package (1.3 oz) whipped topping mix
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons fresh orange zest

Glaze:

1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Take a 10-inch tube or bundt pan, spray with vegetable oil or cooking spray, and dust with flour.

Mix the ingredients for a cake in a large mixing bowl, and using an electric mixer, blend on low for about a minute. Scrape down the sides with a spatula, and mix on medium for 2 to 3 minutes, scraping when needed.

Pour the batter into the pan, smoothing if necessary.

Bake for about 40-45 minutes. The cake should start to pull away from the sides, and spring back when lightly pressed with a finger.

Place the cake on a rack to cool for about 15 minutes. Then use a knife along the edge to make sure the cake is seperated from the pan. Invert the cake onto the rack, (invert again if using the tube pan), and let cool completely, about 30 minutes.

Sift the confectioners sugar, and stir in the orange juice until they blend well and form a thick glaze. Spoon the glaze over the top of the cake, letting it run down the sides. Let rest for 20 minutes. Cut and serve, or refridgerate for up to a week.


Go To: Cookery : Recipes, categorised : Sweets and Desserts : Cakes
Go To: Cookery : Recipes, alphabetical : K to O

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.