8 June 2000 Honestly true! The Catholic Church has decided flirting online is the devil's work and akin to flesh and blood adultery.

Logging on for an amorous chat with someone other than your spouse amounts to online adultery and is a sin in the eyes of the Church, according to Italy's top weekly Catholic mag Famiglia Cristiana (Christian Family).

Father Antonio Sciortino, the magazine's editor, got a letter from a female reader asking for moral guidance about infidelity on the Internet, but soon put this wannabe sinner in her place, The Times reports.

Could encounters on the Net not inject a bit of life into a flagging marriage? she asked the Father. The woman, who knew she was on a touchy subject and decided to remain anonymous, claimed these virtual meetings could be "good therapy for bored couples".

But the Church responded in true medieval style, branding surfers' visits to their cyber bits-on-the-side the same as the real thing.

"Evil thoughts are no less culpable than evil deeds," Sciortino fulminated from the pulpit (otherewise known as "Conversations with the Priest" advice column. He added that individuals who "log on with amorous intentions" must not kid themselves that surfing the Internet will wash their sins away.

"For Christians there can be no moral difference between a virtual affair and a flesh and blood betrayal."

So what are you waiting for? If you've already sinned online in the eyes of the Lord, you may as well go out and get laid. You're going straight to Hell anyway. Now turn the Chatterbox back on ...

Excerpt from Matthew :

(Jesus speaking)
5:27 "You have heard that it was said, `Do not commit adultery.'
5:28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to desire her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
5:29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better to lose one of your members than to have your whole body thrown into hell.
5:30 If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better to lose one of your members than to have your whole body go into hell".


Translation into Modern English : If you are inclined towards online flirting, dump your computer. Bad news for Olivetti.
I am not what I would consider "a flirt". I joke around, but I have been a bit serious at times. This isn't a bad thing, It's usually quite innocent and with people who know me quite well. This has gotten me in trouble though..

I have been known to flirt with people I know quite well off-line. This has caused a fair bit of trouble I admit. Sometimes boys don't realize a "*smooch*" in email, is just some ascii. They assume I am looking for a little more next time we hang out. At first I thought it was just miscommunication, until it happened a few times. They assumed my sillyness online was just affection I was too scared to go through with in real life. I don't do this anymore, without properly stating my "feelings" before hand. I guess this way feelings avoid getting messed with, and I can avoid uncomfortable advances.

This why flirting online with people I hang out with in real life can be hell!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.