OSNews (at http://www.osnews.com) is a technology website, geared toward IT professionals, though anyone with a certain level of expertise would feel welcome.


History


OSNews was started by David Adams back in 1997. At that time, it was merely another such page among myriads upon myriads of others. It would be updated approximately twice a month, with few original stories and rather anemic discussions. It was completely abandoned for three years. In early 2001, the pace quickened, but site was still obscure and not too frequently updated.

In August of 2001, the site was joined by a new editor-in-chief, Eugenia Loli-Queru. She is quite a personality in online circles, being the former editor of BeNews. Immediately, the site started to be updated not twice a month, not thrice, but approximately ten times a day. It started getting hundreds of thousands of hits, which elevated it to the status it currently enjoys (Slashdot, for instance, links to it frequently).


Characteristics


Eugenia's acerbic wit and rather fierce arguing make the site fascinating to visit. Though plagued by its share of trolls, the signal-to-noise ratio is much higher than on places like Slashdot. Unlike the former, this site reports fairly evenly on all major operating systems--both open source and not. An excellent trait is its special attention to hobby OSes, which make it one of the central clearinghouses for news on them. It is also one of the few mainstream sites to report news on the Amiga and the BeOS.

The site has been variously described as "spreading Microsoft FUD", "spreading Linux FUD", and "spreading BeOS FUD". This points to the fact that Eugenia, in fact, tends to hate all OSes equally (though she loves them in general). It makes for interesting discussion, and the fact that the site constantly hosts interviews and articles by visitors makes it an ever-interesting experience.

It is worthwhile to note that the code of the site has been rewritten, by Eugenia (of course), to support nearly every single browser out there--from cell phone WAP browsers to NetPositive.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.