Nuriko is one of the Suzaku Shichi Seishi (Seven Celestial Warriors of the god Suzaku) in the manga and anime series Fushigi Yuugi, originally drawn by Watase Yuu. His name is written 柳宿 where the first character is the same as the distinguishing mark over his heart (yanagi, meaning "willow").

Alternate Name: 迢柳娟(Chouryuuen)
Birthdate: March 10th
Zodiac Sign: Fish (Pisces)
Constellation: Sea Serpent (Hydra)
Age: 18
Height: 166 cm (5 feet 6 inches)
Blood Type: B
Siblings: one older brother and a younger sister Kourin

(Some spoilers for at least the first seven episodes from here on)

Nuriko is the third seishi that the main character Miaka, the Suzaku no Miko (Priestess of Suzaku), encounters. He is actually not female, even though he has long purple hair usually pulled back in a braid, dresses in female clothes most of the time, and first appears as a member of the imperial harem. Miaka takes even longer to learn that he is male than she did for the emperor Hotohori and is even more surprised when she does learn since Nuriko had been acting female the entire time. He is in love with Hotohori, but when Hotohori and Tamahome both fall in love with Miaka, for a short time out of jealousy he tries dragging Tamahome off so that Tamahome can't be with Miaka. At first Nuriko seems shallow, self-centered, and mean to Miaka. However, he actually just likes teasing Miaka and will do whatever is necessary to help her, like the other seishi. His primary power is great strength which is very useful in battle.

Sources: The first artbook (original Japanese) and the anime itself.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.