The Nuremberg Laws were two laws which excluded Jews from German life, as well as took away some of their natural rights. They were first declared at the annual Nazi rally held in Nuremberg in 1935. At that rally, Adolph Hitler delivered a speech about the Jewish controversy to unite the party activists and state officials to deal with the Jewish issue. Subsequently, on September 15, 1935 the two laws were approved.

The first law was the "Law for Protection of German Blood and German Honor". It dealt mostly on the subject of Jewish marriage.

"Entirely convinced that the purity of German blood is essential to the further existence of the German people, and inspired by the uncompromising determination to safeguard the future of the German nation, the Reichstag has unanimously resolved upon the following law, which is promulgated herewith:"

Section 1
1) Marriages between Jews and citizens of German or kindred blood are forbidden. Marriages concluded in defiance of this law are void, even if, for the purpose of evading this law, they were concluded abroad.

2) Proceedings for anullment may be initiated only by the Public Prosecutor.

Section 2
Sexual relations outside marriage between Jews and nationals of German or kindred blood are forbidden.

Section 3
Jews will not be permitted to employ female citizens of German or kindred blood as domestic servants.

Section 4
1) Jews are forbidden to display the Reich and national flag or national colors.

2) On the other hand they are permitted to display the Jewish colors. The exercise of this right is protected by the State.

Section 5
1) A person who acts contrary to the prohibition of Section 1 will be punished with hard labour.

2) A person who acts contrary to the prohibition of Section 2 will be punsished with imprisonment or with hard labour.

3) A person who acts contrary to the provisions of Section 3 or 4 will be punished with imprisonment up to a year and with a fine, or with one of these penalties.

Section 6
The Reich minister of the Interior in agreement with the Deputy Fuhrer and the Reich Minister of Justice will issue legal and administrative regulations required for the enforcement and supplementing of this law.

Section 7
The law will become effective on the day of its promulgation; Section 3 however, not until 1 January 1936.

The second of the laws was called "The Reich Citizenship Law". It stripped Jews of their German citizenship and introduced a new distinction between "Reich citizens" and "nationals". Certificate of Reich citizenship were in fact never introduced and all Germans other than Jews were unitl 1945 provisionally classified as Reich citizens.

Article 1
1) A subject of the State is a person who belongs to the protective union of the German Reich, and who therfore has particular obligations towards the Reich.

2) The status of subject is acquired in accordance with the provisions of the Reich and State Law of Citizenship.

Article 2
1) A citizen of the Reich is that subject only who is of German or kindred blood and who, through his conduct, shows that he is desirous and fit to serve the German people and Reich faithfully.

2) The right to citizenship is acquired by the granting of Reich citizenship papers.

3) Only the citizen of the Reich enjoys full political rights in accordance with the provision of the laws.

Article 3
The Reich Minister of the Interior in conjuction with the Deputy Fuhrer will issue the necessary legal and administrative decrees for carrying out and supplementing this law.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.