It's really nice having access to an academic library again, even though I'm finding it hard to find time to actually read any of the books that jump out at me as being particularly fascinating, let alone the books I should probably be reading for my course (which are also very interesting, as it happens). I'm finding it quite hard to find time for much of anything except teaching and preparation for teaching, actually. I guess that's normal for PGCE students.

Anyway, I went to the library today after a morning at college, thinking I'd try to get through some paperwork, and spend a while reading. Instead I ended up writing 1,224 words of the big essay I have to hand in at the start of next term, on the topic 'How Should we Teach Science?' - it's a subject I have lots of strong opinions on, which I'll have to back up with specific references later. So far I've rambled about why we should teach science, and how we should teach anything in the 21st century. It'll all come together in the end, I figure.

I also grabbed eight books off the shelves which I probably won't take out, because I already have loads of books out and like I say, I don't really have time to do much reading at all. Also, I shouldn't get too distracted. Oh well. These are all things which (based on a cursory look) I'd probably quite like to read one of these days, so I'm just going to make a note of them here.

  1. Merleau-Ponty and Phenomenology of Perception by Komarine Romdenh-Romluc
  2. Feminist Interpretations of Maurice Merleau-Ponty edited by Olkowksi & Weiss
  3. Language and Thought of the Child by Jean Piaget
  4. Existentialism, Feminism and Simone de Beauvoir by Joseph Mahon
  5. Bachelard: Science & Objectivity by Mary Tiles
  6. Looking Awry by Slavoj Žižek
  7. Experiments in Visceral Philosophy by Tamsin Lorraine
  8. Islam and Science by Pervez Hoodbhoy

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.