Remember when...
I foresee...

I did Everything Editor stuff for a change, learning, in the process, the proper spelling of "infallibility" (one of those words you hear and hear, but never encounter in one's reading); I also tried to get a noder to eschew Microsoft Word and to try converting his (her?) E1 multi-part writeup into a gigantor E2 one.

I made a node for The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour (...but a writeup is never really finished...), a show that lasted for about 24 months - but I saw less than ten minutes of it during its entire run.

My bedtime back then was 9 PM, which coincides with the start of the show. My somewhat permissive (for Republicans) parents might have let me stay up to watch part of some other show (had I, say, taken a liking to the good clean fun of the Cartwrights and the Ponderosa on Bonanza), but not this one - newspaper coverage of the various controversies that swirled around it apparently gave the parental unit the impression that merely being in the same room while the show was on might turn this precocious four-year-old into a pre-kindergarten radical, leading his classmates in some protest during milk-and-cookies period. When the clock struck nine on a Sunday night (after the end of The Ed Sullivan Show), I was quickly shooed away from the idiot box.

Over the past 25 years, I've managed to catch up - via books, old articles, interviews, and (at long last!) via seeing parts of old episodes.

Oddly, after the attempt to keep my young mind Smothers-free (i.e. "hippie"-free), all hell broke loose, with The Black Panthers, methadone consumers, and one of J. Edgar Hoover's COINTELPRO-persecuted Top Ten becoming part of my mother's (and thus my) life. But more about that later, perhaps...

Awaken to someone in the house. Cooking smells. My fever has eased up since last night. Jody has made pancakes and orange juice for breakfast. I am grateful, though I can only eat one or two before getting back in bed. Off to work in the cold and rain. The wind is tunneling through my layers. The office is pleasantly warm, it eases the annoyance of being there. Selena calls and invites me to pie. Travis is there talking about some kind of metaphysical martial art. Today must be treatday. Check some books out at the university library and pass out form exhaustion in the comfy chairs. Drop off a copy of ihtez likes shit so that Molli will have some vile reading material on the plane-ride to thanksgiving with her parents. Presently eating leftover pancakes from the morning. A favorite snack that I keep a secret. Shhh.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.