A concept that I have come to believe to be true 99.999% of the time.

When anything happens to us, our first reaction is to over emphasize its immediate importance. Most of the time, it doesn't matter. Very few specific instances in our life have lasting effects on us (these are usually limited to life threatening accidents).

The events that have lasting effects on our lives are usually a build up of several smaller choices we make. So, when it comes down to it, no one single event really has that much bearing on our lives. If a single event is really that important, its probably due to the fact that you have let other things slide, thus causing that event to carry more importance than it ever should.

Like being late for work; 6 months, 6 weeks, or even 6 days from that point, it shouldn't matter. If it does matter, you've been late too many times before, and this one instance isn't the cause of your problems. You have problems because you were late too many times before.

So, when anything happens to you that causes you to panic, stop, take a deep breath and think "How will this event affect me a week/month/year from now?". Most likely, it really isn't that important. So, don't stress out over it. We tend to make the most mistakes when we are stressed and our hearts are racing.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't take life seriously, just don't sweat the small stuff and you will probably find yourself happier. I know I do.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.