Nobby Stiles – English footballer and a bloody awful dancer

Nobby Stiles was a balding defender and midfield player without front teeth. Unlike his name illustrates he was rough and resilient on the pitch. Before a game he used to take out his dentures to impress his opponents. His strategy always worked.

He played 28 international games and became world champion with England in 1966. As was commonly accepted back then, he man-marked Eusebio with every body part available. After winning the final he laughed out loud with his gappy teeth and earned his five minutes of world fame with his impulsive victory jig on the holy Wembley pitch.

“It was absolutely spontaneous. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm a bloody awful dancer anyway”

Stiles was always very clear about his role in the champions team: “Conquer the ball, give it to Bobby Charlton en let him do his thing”. Born in Manchester and raised at United, Stiles also knew glory at club level. Led by the legendary Matt Busby, his team won two League titles and the European Club Championship in 1968.

Nobby Stiles was recently chosen in the Ugly Footballers All Stars Team.

Player data

Full Name: Norbert Stiles
Date of Birth: May 18, 1942
Place of Birth: Collyhurst, Manchester, United Kingdom
Height: 5ft 6 (1m 68)
International Record: 28 caps for England - 1 goal (1963-1974)
Clubs (player): Manchester United, Middlesbrough, Preston North End (player-coach), Vancouver Whitecaps
Clubs (coach): West Bromwich Albion, Manchester United youth team.
Famous teammates: Bobby Charlton, George Best, Denis Law, Brian Kidd.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.