British Asian musician, composer, actor, comedian.

Could he be any more talented? His music reflects the juxtaposition of cultures that characterises Britain today. Combining traditional Indian styles, with sounds as diverse as drum and bass, samba, flamenco guitar, hip hop and acid jazz into beautifully crafted aural gems, the music does not seem confused in its eclecticism, as could so easily happen when working with such a broad range of influences. The tabla, turntable and Fender Rhodes all have a place in his music.

Not content with making some of the most innovative music in the UK today, Nitin Sawhney is also the co-creator of one of the most successful and critically acclaimed British TV comedies of recent years. Goodness Gracious Me started as a double act with his flatmate, and was commissioned by the BBC, first for Radio 4 where it won a Sony Award, then making the inevitable transition to television. Nitin wrote many of the sketches as well as performing, and, of course, writing the theme music. The show is now syndicated worldwide.

He is also a prolific film, TV and theatrical composer.

Discography

Although much of his work is very political, as Nitin puts it, you don't have to agree with his politics to enjoy his music.

Nitin Sawhney is very good live, and puts on a lavish performance with a large band and many talented performers. He is usually accompanied by JC001, a fast talking Irish Asian MC who is in the Guinness Book Of World Records as the world's fastest rapper. His human beatbox skills are astounding, and add an extra edge to the performances. The most recent performance that I saw was particularly poignant. It was the night that the US and UK had launched the first attacks on Afghanistan, and the show started with a solitary vocalist, backdropped with visuals mixed with live shots of the bombing from BBC News 24. It was a moving moment, and seemed appropriate.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.