Being a Mover in New York City was seasonal work, like picking fruit. Oh, there were jobs in the wintertime, mostly shifting offices from one building to another, and sometimes I stuck around and worked when I could, but it was no fun I can tell you. The Big Apple is not Connecticut where, as any New England Yankee will tell you, they have Real winters, but it was bad enough. There were mornings we stood around with our hands in our armpits while two of the guys tried to start the newest of the trucks, one working the ignition while the other sprayed canned ether into the carburetor intake. There would be this soundless flash of blue flame and mostly on the second or third try the beast would belch and shudder and come to life; then we could use it to jump start the other vehicles . No fun, as I say.

 

When I could afford to I would take off in November and travel over to Germany or Hungary where I had friends, but one winter for reasons which have nothing to do with this story I came back early, in mid February it was. Of course I had no apartment; at that time I had been 'subletting' a room in an apartment on tenth and first – that's Tenth street and First avenue, just on the border of the Lower East Side. I gather they have posh names for  all the old neighborhoods now, but in those days the Lower East Side was the old immigrant section, roughly between the Williamsburg and Brooklyn Bridges, three to four story cockroach infested tenements with rusty fire escapes. Not to bad mouth the roaches, you understand, everybody had them. We used to say that Jackie Onassis had cockroaches which might have been true for all I know, it was just that on the Lower East Side they were a little more...assertive might be the word. It wasn't worth while to bomb them because sure as anything they'd get mad and attack your downstairs neighbor. Then you'd have Mrs. Suarez in 3G yelling up at you to 'leave the roaches alone! You don' bother them they ain' gonna bother you!' That was the Lower East Side, live and let live.

 

Where was I? Oh yes. Well, the fellow-let's call him Bill- whose apartment it was hadn't been expecting me back, so the room that had been mine was rented out to someone else. It was a pity, because I had fixed it up myself with a loft bed ( actually two wooden pallets nailed together and fixed to the wall overhead which created a nifty little work place underneath) but I could hardly turf out the kid who had taken it over. For a few days I pitched my tent in the living room but that was an imposition and besides I could see myself turning up in one of Bill's Performance Art pieces about homeless people.

 

I had work; my old outfit 'Nice Jewish Boy with Truck' agreed to take me back on when I called at the offices, so all I had to do was to find someplace to live. I went over to Rivington to see a landlord I knew, the same fellow who had rented me my first ever apartment in New York City, a railroad flat, so called, painted mustard yellow with three rooms connected in a line (like you could drive a train through them, I suppose) and the bathtub in the kitchen to save on plumbing. He had nothing to offer on this occasion however except, he explained apologetically, one floor in a loft building with no heat or hot water. Would I be interested? One fifty a month, he coaxed, and he would take care of the electric.

 

I have to explain. You say 'loft' in New York these days and it conjures up a vision of polished ball room floors, cast iron pillars painted white and panoramic views of the Manhattan skyline. Granite worktops, spiral staircases to elegant sleeping lofts, and a price tag equal to the net worth of a small kingdom in the Balkans. Back in the Eighties, however, a few canny developers had started renting derelict industrial properties to artists and musicians. These creative individuals, desperate for studio-cum-living space, would on their own install plumbing, sand down the floors, bribe a Con Ed employee to tap into the City's gas main so they could have free heat, that kind of thing. Of course what they did was illegal and against zoning regulations, so it was a simple matter to evict them once the building was habitable, apply for change of use and so on, and go chuckling all the way to the bank.

 

Looking back I suppose that my old landlord had visions of being able to pull off a deal like that, but in truth he was just a slumlord living in one of his own slums and not in the same league as the big boys like Donald Trump. I had visions of my own, of being an artist in New York City with a loft of my own like Jackson Pollock. You might say we were both living in a mutually supported fantasy, which kind of sums up the City as a whole, then and now.

 

We went over to see the place, which was on Norfolk street just off Delancey, the street that runs to the Brooklyn Bridge and over the East River to, well, Brooklyn. The building was small, no bigger than one of the tenements, and had just three floors. 'Somebody living there,' my landlord informed me as we passed the ground floor entrance and climbed the stairs to the second floor. He unlocked the door and I peered inside, to be met with a ragpickers dream of piled junk that filled both of the rooms that comprised the entire floor space. 'I clear all this out,' he assured me. He pointed to a single burner hot plate on a windowsill. 'You can have this to cook on,' he said magnanimously. I looked at the plaster falling off the laths and watched my breath smoking in the air which was as cold as outside and said , 'OK, when can I move in?'

 

I've never met anyone in the Arts yet who wasn't handy with tools, it seems to come with with the territory. Over the following weeks I managed to plumb in a tub I'd persuaded the landlord to part with, added a shower- well, OK it was cold water but I was young and healthy. Also, if you want to know, slightly nuts. I thought the lathe boards showing through the plaster added atmosphere so I tacked a large canvas over the worst part and incorporated the lathe boards into a tromp d'oeil painting of a dock twisting off into the distance over a stormy sea with a solitary female figure standing at the very end. I solved the heat problem with a small sheet iron stove from Taiwan that I found on Canal Street and fed with scrap wood from the warehouse district around there.

 

I remember my Landlord was so proud of my industry that he brought a friend around show it off. I was cooking pancakes on the little stove as they stood at the door and his friend said wonderingly, ' He is livink like in former times!' as if I was a diorama in the museum of Natural History.

 

I met my fellow lodger on the ground floor, a middle aged woman, a sweet and somewhat vague individual so wrapped up in various woolens that she looked like a walking parcel. She lived with five dogs that she used to walk on leashes made of grocery string. I never knew how she kept warm but presumably the dogs took care of that.

 

There was one other space in the building that I didn't know about at first, a basement that was entered down a flight of concrete steps from the outside. My first intimation that anyone used it was the first Friday night I spent in the building. First several cars pulled up in front, which was unusual enough in itself, as the only other vehicles you ever saw parked on the street were burned out wrecks abandoned there by car-jackers. Peering down from my window I saw a number of well dressed people filing down the basement steps, and after a time came the muffled sound of drums being played. Some sort of Salsa club?- I wondered because it had a slightly Latin feel.

 

Then came the night of the big freeze. I had let the stove go out because being cheap it had no proper damper and the only way to keep it going was to constantly chuck wood in. I huddled in my sleeping bag as it got colder and colder and around 2 AM I had to go to the necessary and found that the flush wouldn't work. I muttered something unprintable and went back to bed.

 

The next morning the sun came out and began to thaw everything. I got the stove going and began to thaw myself out and that was when I discovered that the pipes had not only frozen, but popped the joints. Soon there was a fountain going, water spurting everywhere as I searched frantically, soaking wet, for the shut off valve. To no avail; I threw on my coat and dashed over to the Landlord's place who thank God was home (well, it was Sunday the day after his Sabbath so I suppose God had something to do with it. ) Where was the shut off valve, I pleaded. In the basement, he said. But it's locked, I said. You go through the old lady's place and there's a hatch in her closet, he said. Back I dashed, pounded on first floor's door, and explained the problem when she emerged. This was unnecessary as water was pouring through her ceiling in a steady stream, but she let me in and pointed me to the closet. This unfortunately proved to be the place where the dogs relieved themselves when they weren't able to get out, but I was beyond caring. I took hold of the wooden hatch in the floor and heaved it back, then lowered myself gingerly down to the floor below. And froze.

 

There was around four inches of water sloshing about dimly lit by the light filtering through the curtains on the street level windows. More water was dripping steadily through the ceiling making a sound like a lunatic on a mandolin – plunk plunkety plunk plunkety – echoing from the concrete walls where staring at me accusingly in the wavering light were a dozen or so of the ugliest wooden statues you can imagine. Each one was about five feet high and combined animal and human attributes with a fine disregard for anatomical probability. They would have looked eerie even with the lights on, but in the semi dark with the reflections from the water making the faces seem to move and change expression it was like a nightmare.

 

There's little more to tell. I found the big valve and shut off the water at the main. In about an hour or so the landlord showed up with a friend who mended the burst pipe, then treated me to a little lecture about tying down the ball cock in the toilet tank so that the water running all night would keep the pipes from freezing, like I should have thought of that myself. Maybe I should have, and I pass that little trick on to whoever might find a use for it someday during the next Ice age.

 

Oh, and next day the people showed up in their cars, dragged out the sodden carpets, loaded everything else in and drove off never to be seen again. I saw some looks ranging from accusatory to downright hostile directed at my window, but no one nailed a butchered black rooster to my door or informed me that a little wax doll baptized with my name was being slowly lowered into a fondue maker. I later learned the basement had probably been a temple of the Hispanic Santeria Religion, Cuba' s answer to the Voodoo of the Haitians. None of the Hispanic people I knew and worked with would so much as mention the Santeria; I only found out about it from my German friend who was doing her Doctoral Dissertation on subcultures in American Urban Centers.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.