The New Statesman is an English journal of political commentary, discussion and opinion. It was founded in 1913 by two Socialist Fabian Society types and remains left-wing in political persuasion. The magazine's 'typical opinion' has, however, followed the English Labour Party further towards the centre of the political spectrum in recent years.

It should be made clear that the NS does not fall into a category with other Socialist publications such as the Red Pepper or Socialist Worker. Unlike these is isn't 100% Socialist by any means. The New Statesman has always been widely regarded as a place to find high quality commentary on politics, current affairs, culture and the arts rather than being aimed solely at Socialists. Perhaps the mag's dedication to being intelligent and best-of-the-best has played a large part in forcing it away from the left.

Currently (2001) NS opinion mainly consists of those supporting the new Labour Government's efforts and those arguing that, as it privatises and 'specialises' education, it has gone far too far to the right.

Geoffrey Robinson is the owner of the publication at the time of writing. He is a Labour MP, but he has recently been criticised for 'dodgy' business practice; was involved in Peter Mandelson's [First Downfall and is definately on the Labour Party's left. Editors are Peter Wilby and Cristina Odone.

Some contributors at present are:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.