The opposite of a full moon. When the part of the moon that you can see happens to be the part that is in shadow, and so you really can't see it very well, if at all.

A night without a moon, at least from a practical aspect.

In NetHack, while starting the game, you will occasionally get a message about the moon phase. NetHack only cares about a full moon or a new moon, and to some extent what time of day it is.

If you are playing while there's a new moon, be careful. There aren't any effects to luck or undead (like with a full moon), but there's one very important thing: if you are fighting a cockatrice, and it hits you and then hisses, and you aren't carrying a lizard corpse, you will turn to stone immediately; do not pass "GO", do not collect $200. Usually, you turn to stone slowly after bad encounters with cockatrices, giving you a chance to cure the petrification, but in this case you die right away. Be careful, and always carry a lizard corpse or two to combat the stoning.

New Moon

Subtitled "The Magazine for Girls and Their Dreams," New Moon was founded in June of 1992. It's a small magazine written for girls ages 8 to 14, aiming to be an alternative to those annoying teen magazines, with their anorexic-looking, airbrushed models, fluffy commercialism, and mindless content. It has no ads, being entirely subscription-supported. Most of it is printed in only two colors (be they purple and green, blue and maroon, or whatever) on recycled paper. Something that appealed to me, at least, is the fact that it's edited by a board of girls, not just adults who think they know what girls want to read.

I read New Moon from 7th grade until around my sophomore year in high school, when it seemed just too young for me. It's a good magazine, refreshing and fun, although lately it seems to be having some sort of identity crisis. From the beginning, it's had a sort of "alternative," almost neo-hippie feeling--not from having tons of radical/liberal ideas (although they crop up in the magazine now and then), but from its "don't be afraid to be different" spirit. Maybe this is just a by-product of its idealistic, optimistic, feminist roots. The more recent issues, though seem to lean more towards the overly cautious, sanitized mainstream, which I find slightly disappointing. Still, it's a worthwhile read for young girls who would like some reassurance--and even encouragement--in being themselves, even when that means being different from the norm.

For more info, take a look at http://newmoon.org/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.