In The Simpsons episode "Itchy and Scratchy Land", the family visits a suspiciously Disney-esque amusement park. Bart and Lisa wander into a stand up movie theater where they watch "The Roger Meyers Story", a short documentary about the park's founder:

"Roger Meyers senior, the gentle genius behind Itchy and Scratchy, loved and cared about almost all the peoples of the world. And he, in turn,
was beloved by the world...except in 1938, when he was criticized for his controversial cartoon 'Nazi Supermen Are Our Superiors'".

Ironically, although Roger Meyers' empire is clearly based on Disney, this is one case where it's just a joke. Disney's creations were not appreciated by the Reich:

"Mickey Mouse is the most miserable ideal ever revealed... Healthy emotions tell every independant young man and every honorable youth that the dirty and filth-covered vermin, the greatest bacteria carrier in the animal kingdom, cannot be the ideal type of animal... Away with the Jewish brutalization of the people! Down with Mickey Mouse! Wear the Swastika cross!"
- German newspaper article, mid-1930's (quoted in Art Spiegelman's Maus)

(Yes, another example of just how truly paranoid the Nazi ideology was.)

While its true that the Nazis weren't always keen on Disney films (they banned a few) Hitler was apparently a big enough fan to borrow Disney's techniques for use in anti-Jewish proganda films. Over a hundred cartoons used animation techniques lifted form Disney cartoons according to German film historians (quoted in http://www.infoculture.cbc.ca/archives/misc/misc_05041999_disney.html)

Walt himself was later to prove himself fond of one or two ex-Nazis including Wernher von Braun head of the V-2 rocket program. Von Braun appeared in the 1955 Tomorrowland programme called Men in Space alongside one Heinz Haber. Haber also appeared a later programme Our Friend the Atom where he was introduced on screen, by Walt himself, as head of the (actually non-existent) Disney Scientific Department. Dr Haber, along with Von Braun, was part of a group of German scientists who had been brought to the US to work on the Manhattan Project at White Sands as part of the notorious Operation Paperclip.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.