National Mole Day (or National Mol* Day, depending on which spelling your chemistry teacher uses) is held on October 23rd or June 2nd, depending on your teacher's observance. It's purpose is to celebrate the mol, which is the embodiment of chemistry and Amedo Avogadro's lifes' work. Why October 23rd or June 2nd? Because Avogadro's Number, the number of particles in a mol, is 6.02 * 1023, so using 10/23 and 6/02 for the dates should be a given.

National Mol Day usually involves the chemistry students at your high school or college doing fun things, possibly involving mol jokes, Mol Day shirts, Mol music, or plenty of other things. I was lucky enough to take 10th grade chemistry with a teacher who was a founding member of the National Mole Day Foundation, so we took our Mol Day (yes, we used Mol, not Mole) seriously. Our Mol Day celebrations including a cake-baking contest, a scavenger hunt, and Mol Day buttons, which, for a buck, would get the wearer one extra point on their grade. Not one percent, but one point.

Because I was on the cusp of a B- average for the trimester, I decided that instead of catching up on homework and getting my B- the easy way, I would bake the greatest Mol Day cake to ever be seen at my school. 40 minutes of baking and 2 hours of icing later, I had a cake holding the abridged version of the Periodic Table of the Elements. The looks gotten from my fellow classmates who were entering their cakes on Mol Day were priceless as I walked into the cafeteria, carrying my behemoth of a sheet cake. Right there, my teacher forced me to hold it up so that she could take plenty of good pictures, while while the female entrants looked at their relatively paltry entries and questioned their existance. I ended up with 11 extra credit points (5 for the cake, 5 for being one of four winners, and 1 for the button), and my B-.

So, if your school doesn't celebrate Mol Day in some form or another, go to your Chemistry teacher and demand satisfaction.

source and more info: http://www.moleday.org**


* Before you downvote, mol is a is a perfectly good alternative for mole, and I've been conditioned to use it. If you must blame anybody, blame my chemistry teacher.

**See the lab coat that the mole is wearing on the top of the page? My chemistry teacher HAS that labcoat. It's the stuff of legends.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.