"The Best For Your Stick"

Formulated by Fredrick Herzog III and chemist Nate Skinner, Sex Wax (or Mr. Zog's Sex Wax) is the world's most popular brand of surfboard wax, if only due to its provocative name. It has nothing to do with sex. Vanilla sex, anyhow.

Herzog (aka "Zog") met Skinner whilst attending UCSB and running a local surf shop. Seeing the potential for a high-performance board wax, in 1972 they set about creating the perfect formula in a friend's garage. Instead of attending class, Zog started testing the wax under Californian conditions.

After a few months of trial and error the pair felt that they had a marketable product, and mixed up a 55 gallon drum of the goop. Zog asked his friend and artist, Hank Pitcher, to design a label for the new surf wax. According to Herzog:

Hank came up with a visually intriguing logo bearing the name "Sex Wax". Hank liked the name because it sounded phonetically cool..I liked it because it was attention-grabbing, absurd, and a great spoof on Madison Avenue's not so subtle attempts to use sex to sell a product.
By 1975, sales had outgrown the garage, and Sex Wax Inc. moved to Goleta, California and then later to Carpinteria - near the world-famous break at Rincon. Sex Wax t-shirts began to outsell the wax itself, and remain the companies largest selling product. Sex Wax Inc has since diversified its waxy range into snowboard, skating, and hockey related products. It seems as if it is only a matter of time before they broach the BDSM arena.

Quote from http://www.mrzogs.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.