A polyphonic analog synthesizer with a 71-note keyboard.
Released in 1975 with the asking price of £3195, remained in production until 1980. Also known as Model 203a.

The PolyMoog offers full polyphony and pseudo-bi-timbrality. Unfortunately, it uses the divide-down technique where lower octaves are achieved by dividing the oscillators' outputs, making the synth sound much weaker than most other Moog models as well as later polysynths from competitors.

The unit offers 2 VCOs per voice. One of them is fixed to the satooth waveform while the other features pulse. Only 12 of each are included due to the dividing system. The VCOs can be detuned, but have a very small range (4-8' and 8-16'). The pulse oscillator is only on/off switchable instead of having volume controls, but it has its own phase shifter which can be used as primitive VCO sync.
The filter section featurs a fixed resonator bank with low/mid/hi bands, each of which have their own controls for cut-off, resonance and gain. There is also a 24dB/octave low-pass VCF which has its own ADSD envelope generator, variable keyboard tracking, dedicated LFO and sample/hold.
A basic LFO is also available for the oscillators, with controls for rate, delay and amount. The VCA offers ADS envelopes with separate decay levels for both upper and lower "timbre".

The keyboard can be split into 3 sections, each with their own volume sliders. Adjustable velocity sensitivity is available. The unit's internal memory holds 8 preset sounds and 1 user programmable patch.
Other features include a 3-band EQ and a CV/gate interface. Metallic "legs" and a pedalboard were released to the market as separate accessories.

Famous users of the PolyMoog include Gary Numan, Genesis and Abba.


Preset Sounds:
Strings
Piano
Organ
Harpsichord
Funk
Clav
Vibes
Brass


back to Moog

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.