British comedy troupe of the '70s setting the standard for silly humour. Featured: Eric Idle, Michael Palin, John Cleese, Terry Jones, and the now deceased Graham Chapman. Also they had many silly animations by Terry Gilliam. Some of there more famous material includes Monty Python and the Holy Grail(ni!), The Dead Parrot Sketch, The Spanish Inquisition, and The Argument Clinic. Oh yes The Bishop is another good sketch too. My favorite is the Mr. Neutron episode.

"The story of Monty Python begins in the hallowed halls of Britain's most illustrious seats of learning - the universities of Oxford and Cambridge. All of the British Pythons began their comedy careers in the revue shows put on by university societies, such as the Cambridge Footlights.

"Beyond the Fringe star Jonathan Miller Undergraduate revues attracted an audience beyond the college walls in the 1960s - thanks in part to the success of Oxbridge old boys Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Jonathan Miller and Alan Bennett.

"The quartet's celebrated 1960 show Beyond the Fringe had concentrated attention on the comic talents yet to 'come down' from the two respected institutions.

"Of the two universities, it is Cambridge's Footlights revue which is the better known. Both John Cleese and Graham Chapman found their comedy feet in the society - along with Goodies stars Bill Oddie and Tim Brooke-Taylor.

"Pete and Dud: cutting college wits

"With the departure of leading Footlighters such as David Frost, the future Pythons were quickly promoted to positions of responsibility within the club.

""In bewilderment we saw a notice board informing us that we are now officers!" recalled John Cleese.

"Their well-received show, A Clump of Plinths, transferred to London's West End and subsequently visited New Zealand and New York under the new title Cambridge Circus.

"Chapman, by this time a junior doctor, was unsure about abandoning his training for the tour. Advice came from an odd quarter, when the Queen Mother visited his London hospital. "You must travel," she declared.

"Although a lack of elephants in the sketch show confused some audiences in New Zealand, reviews there and on Broadway were good.

"Cleese stayed on in New York, where - during a photo shoot for a comic strip - he met American illustrator Terry Gilliam.

"Oxford men Terry Jones and Michael Palin were taking a similar root to their future Python compatriots.

"David Frost: Jack of all trades, master of satire

"Alongside the satirical pieces such as the anti-capital punishment revue Hang Your head Down and Die, the pair explored proto-Python territory with skits about eating washing powder.

""The ultimate in maschocistic comedy," recalls Palin.

"Various radio and stage appearances brought all four graduates to the attention of David Frost.

"Fresh from the success of Tom Lehrer, he asked them to write for his new BBC show The Frost Report. They were to be joined by Eric Idle - a Footlights president and acquaintance of Brooke-Taylor.

"Cleese learning the laws of comedy with the Two Ronnies on the Frost Report

"Using the themed satire show as a springboard, Cleese and Chapman went on to star with Marty Feldman in ITV's At Last The 1948 Show.

"In a slightly more Pythonesque venture, Jones and Palin went into children's programmes.

"The Complete and Utter History of Britain and Do Not Adjust Your Set - which featured Eric Idle, David Jason and animations by Terry Gilliam - attracted adult audiences despite their afternoon slots.

""We saw our material changing"

"Among those impressed by these zany offerings was Cleese - who suggested the two writing partnerships should join forces.

"The BBC, on the advice of producer Barry Took, signed the group - which now included Idle and Gilliam - for a 13-show series.

"Python was a chance for Cleese to play around with comedy Although the team were certain that they wanted to avoid the cliches of the sketch show format, removing the reliance on punchlines for laughs, they were less sure of what to call the show.

"Owl Stretching Time; A Horse, A Spoon and A Bucket and The Toad Elevating Moment were all considered.

"Python's Oxford versus Cambridge divide

"But as planning for the series became more confused, the BBC management began to refer to the team as a 'flying circus' - inspired by the Red Baron's World War One fighter squadron.

"With the addition of the random moniker Monty Python, the name gained general approval.

"On 5 October 1969 the show was launched - at least in the BBC regions which opted to broadcast it."


as taken from the BBC News site at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/special_report/1999/10/99/monty_python/newsid_455000/455585.stm

I've been informed that this node borders on copyright infringement. I'm in the process of re-writing it. Bear with me.

Good day, hello and welcome to the Monty Python node. I know there were a lot of previous posts to this node before you got to mine, but they never actually got around to formally welcoming you here, did they? They don't love you like we do. So even though those other nodes (may) have (had) higher reputations than this one, this is the Monty Python node post which truly cares about you, the individual, and whether you downvote us or not, we won't take it personally here.

So! Hello and welcome! We hope you enjoy your stay. I am your host Heinz Staplingmachine. Tonight, we will unravel the mysteries of the universe and crank out yet more nodegel in order to bring you many links to many other nodes which mostly just regurgitate the sketch comedy of those fine young cannibals known at one time as the engineers of that fine british comedy series Monty Python's Flying Circus but who are now just five old farts and a banquet for maggots. It is our hope to list here everything that is Monty Python, and a few things that aren't.

Monty Python was, is, and forever will be those amazingly well-dressed chaps Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin, John Cleese, and that American bloke who later went on to actually amount to something but I forget his name. In the early 1970s they managed to convince the BBC to let them do some rather silly walks before a couple of their cameras. They got paid some relatively decent money for it. Graham Chapman drank a lot and insisted he didn't have a problem and since he was so damned funny no one argued. The rest of the gentlemen didn't have a problem either, and were even asked to Germany for a brief stay in which they filmed a couple more episodes of this wonderfully marvelous synthetic hyperpornography and drank german beer which they found to be much better than the watered down british ale which barely passes for piss but they didn't say anything about it because they were in fact british and still are.

John Cleese decided to be a random insult generator and wanted to quit. Well to be fair, before Monty Python he'd been writing bits for The Frost Report. He'd been at sketch comedy in one form or another for close to a decade, and wanted a bit of a break, but mostly he was just being a random insult generator. So the tv show was over. Surprisingly though, the world populous would soon tell Cleese to get off his lazy random insult generator and get on with making us laugh some more. The bastard. They later made three wondrous films. Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Life of Brian and Monty Python's Meaning of Life. And we really shouldn't forget Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl but perhaps we should forget And Now For Something Completely Different because it's just a rehash of the best from their TV series, really. They also made a lot of record albums and other things. All in all despite each individual Python's occasional reluctance, I think they've milked what they did on a lark for three years for all it's worth. Michael Palin moved on to do travel documentaries. Terry Gilliam became one hell of a Hollywood director. John Cleese moved on to do Fawlty Towers and he got to kiss Jamie Lee Curtis while shooting A Fish Called Wanda. The bastard. And all the Pythons have managed to do rather well. Well except of course for the dead one but he did rather well too so we can't fault him for his prematurely dying on us. The bastard. Who told him he could die, anyway? Oh well.

What else? Well here's some other links I didn't manage to work into the prose for this node. I doubt you actually click on any of them. I don't know why I bother to make this list but here it is anyway you thankless sot. (There are many duplicates in the nodegel...)

Monty Python also spawned a couple of computer games.

The "Monty Python & the Quest for the Holy Grail" game was released in 1996 by 7th Level, Inc. The game was rated "Mature(17+)" for "MATURE SEXUAL THEMES" and "ANIMATED BLOOD AND GORE"

The game is closely related to the Holy Grail movie, involving many of the same characters, including the Taunting Frenchman, the Black Knight (whom you get to battle and dismember), and the Keeper of the Bridge of Death. You collect clues and solve puzzles with King Arthur and his band of knights.

The graphics were rather decent for the time. There are a few animated scenes and short clips.

"Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time", the second game inspired by Monty Python, the first released actually, came around in 1994, also from 7th Level, Inc. This game is more closely tied to the "Monty Python's Flying Circus" show. In the game, you'll face a series of gaming challenges on your quest to discover the secret to Intergalactic Success. It is terribly complicated.

The CD-ROM has a lot of very entertaining features. It includes the "Desktop Pythonizer", with which you can customize your desktop settings with Monty Python sounds and visuals. It also includes several humorous clips from the series.

And since nobody seems to have bothered to node a list of all things they produced together, it seems this "burden" now falls upon poor little me. Note that I only include those materials that are official Monty Python products, not publications on or about them, or those produced by individual members of Monty Python (Michael Palin, Eric Idle, Graham Chapman, Terry Jones, John Cleese and Terry Gilliam). So here it comes, the:

List of all things Python:

The Series:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.