A fictitious country described in the fictitious travel guide Molvania - A Land Untouched by Modern Dentistry.

Molvania represents all what is bad and funny about Eastern Europe. It is the home of the whooping cough and the world's first urinal for women. The language appears to be a mishmash of a dozen Slavonic languages, with four genders used including one distinctly for cheeses. The country hopes to join the European Union, although they have been told they will have to purge the lyrics of its national anthem of calls to ethnic cleansing. Attractions for tourists include the world's oldest working nuclear reactor, and the Great Plains, recently granted UNESCO World Heritage status as a 'site of significant monotony'.

The guide doesn't exactly say where Molvania actually is, except that it is situated just north of Bulgaria and downwind from Chernobyl.

The book was written by a group of Australian comedians called Working Dog mob (Santo Cilauro, Tom Gleisner and Rob Sitch), who are better known for their film and television productions (The Dish, The Castle, Frontline, Funky Squad etc).

The book is published by Hardie Grant Books in Melbourne Australia (ISBN 1740661109), and (quite incorrectly) is catalogued as non-fiction with a Dewey number of 827.4 GLE.

www.molvania.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.