Current head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, and a key player in the United Nations' effort to disarm Iraq and North Korea.

Born in Egypt in 1942; educated in Cairo, and with a Doctorate of International Law from New York University, Elbaradei has been in the Egyptian Foreign Ministry since 1964. He was appointed to the IAEA post in 1997 and re-elected in 2001.

Along with Chief U.N. Weapons Inspector Hans Blix, Elbaradei has been reporting to the U.N. Security Council on the status of Iraq's disarmament.

So far, Elbaradei has found no evidence of a nuclear program in Iraq and opposes a preemtive strike.Seen by some as a hopeless bureaucrat, by others as a champion of peace, and by many, within the Bush Administration, as a new threat to National Security, Elbaradei remains an enigmatic figure in International Politcs.

source- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/n.html

See Also: Hans Blix's report to the United Nations on Jan. 27, 2003.

Mohamed ElBaradei was in born in Egypt in 1942 and attended the University of Cairo and graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Law in 1962. In 1974, ElBaradei graduated from New York University School of Law with a doctorate in International Law.

In 1964, ElBaradei began his career in the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He served two terms in the Permanent Missions of Egypt to the United Nations in both New York and Geneva. ElBaradei became senior fellow and in charge of the Internation Law Program at the United Nations Institute for Training and Research.

Dr. ElBaradei has spent time lecturing on various fields including arms control and peaceful uses of nuclear energy. ElBaradei has also worked closely with many other countries through his role as head of the Institute and in various other capacities with the UN. In 1997, Dr. ElBaradei became Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency or the IAEA and he was reappointed to a second term in September of 2001.



Sources for this node include http://www.iaea.org/worldatom/Press/Statements/elbaradei.shtml, http://www.eurolegal.org/usmideast4page3.htm, http://www.un.org/apps/sg/offthecuff.asp?nid=313 and other sites at www.un.org

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.