Minos, son of Zeus and princess Europa, was ruler of Crete. With the aid of greek sea-god Poseidon he gained control over the Cycladic islands. Once he gained control Minos is thought to have been a relatively just leader (especially among decadent Gods), bringing the islands societal structure and punishing rogues.
In order to solidify his power Minos promised Poseidon that would sacrifice whatever that god sent him from the sea. Poseidon sent a powerful bull, but Minos thought it too beautiful to destroy, and killed another bull in its place. At this Poseidon was furious, giving rise to the bull's rampage all over Crete and Hercules subsequent adventure.
The story continues.
In order to punish Minos, Poseidon (an incredibly powerful god) made Pasiphae, Minos’ wife, fall in love with the bull. The child she bore came to be known as the Minotaur – half bull, half human, pure terror .
See nodes Theseus and Minotaur for more information.

Mi"nos (?), n. [Gr. .] Class. Myth.

A king and lawgiver of Crete, fabled to be the son of Jupiter and Europa. After death he was made a judge in the Lower Regions.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.