I can smell it.

Can't you smell it? You can't? Neither can you? Well, I can.

I don't know where is it coming from, but I can smell it, and it is driving me insane.

It assaults my nostrils in whiffs here and there. Each time I think it has gone away, there it is again.

Maybe it's my brother-in-law's hat, soaked from his ten-block walk to the train station downtown. *sniff* No.

Maybe it's a spot on the carpet that the baby spilled water on. *sniffsniffsniff* Nope.

Maybe it's myself, a result of using a slightly-too-dirty towel to dry myself off this morning, and I only now noticed it. *sniff* Don't think so.

It seems to be coming from this one corner.

*sniff*

*sniff*


*sniff*


ARGH. The smell is coming from over there, but no particular thing in that area seems to be causing it!

Maybe it's a phantom smell, a result of the incessant rain outside. ...No, it's just too real for that.

Maybe the roof is leaky, and water is slowly dripping in, and getting the insulation wet, and causing it to develop mold, slowly working its way through the cracks and crevices, destroying the wood, softening the ceiling, until suddenly half of the roof will creak and collapse, destroying everything we own and possibly injuring one of us!

...

Okay, that one is probably my GAD talking.

But it is still here... somewhere...

...and I cannot rest until it is found.

Mil"dew (?), n. [AS. melede�xa0;w; akin to OHG. militou, G. mehlthau, mehltau; prob. orig. meaning, honeydew; cf. Goth. milip honey. See Mellifluous, and Dew.] Bot.

A growth of minute powdery or webby fungi, whitish or of different colors, found on various diseased or decaying substances.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mil"dew, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Mildewed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Mildewing.]

To taint with mildew.

He... mildews the white wheat.
Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mil"dew, v. i.

To become tainted with mildew.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.