A 2002 movie (title means "The Man Without A Past"). Directed by Aki Kaurismäki, being a typical minimalist drama from him and an independent part of his "Suomi" trilogy (previous one being Kauas Pilvet Karkaavat). Starring Kati Outinen, Markku Peltola, Esko Nikkari, Sakari Kuosmanen, Annikki Tähti and others.

Grand Prix (and a bunch of other honors) in Cannes, 2002.

A lone man (Peltola) arrives in Helsinki, with only a suitcase. He sits on a bench, falls asleep, and some young hooligans rob him and beat him to near death. As a result of the hits to his head, he entirely forgets his past and doesn't even know his name.

Some poor people living in slums find him, and he ends up living there. He falls in love with Irma (Outinen), from The Salvation Army, where he also finds some job - and for him, it's hard to find a job in a society that assumes you have a name of some kind.

We follow his troubles in finding out how to live in the conditions he has ended up in and problems he has since he doesn't know who he is.

Despite of telling a tale of an unfortunate person and showing people who live in poor conditions, the movie is absolutely funny at times - due to massively clever dialogue. This movie has shining schoolbook examples of the art of fighting with words. A couple of examples included aren't funny in the text, you really need to hear the original for the effect...

("Negotiating" about an "apartment" with a security guard.)
M: What about the electricity?
Guard: Included to the rent. There's an electric pole outside. I can loan you cutters.

(Electrics-savvy person connects the wires.)
M: Do I owe you anything?
Electrician: If you see me lying in the gutter, just turn me face upward...

...

(The nameless person making food - the steaks are charred, and he just pours about a ton of grainy salt in the pot.)
Irma: Is it done yet?
M: I suppose it's already ruined. It is done, in any case.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.