Living in the dorm
s? Don't have a kitchen? Too hot to cook
? Afraid of the stove after that last run in you had with the pilot light
? Still want to have that special someone
over for a nice Valentine's Day
dinner? This is a hot entree salad you can make entirely in the microwave
Microwave Chicken and Apple Spinach Salad
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt
4 oz. chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
3 tbsp apple cider
1 cup carrots, sliced diagonally
3 cups (1 lb) cubed, peeled Granny Smith apples, or other firm cooking apple
1/2 cup (2 oz) crumbled gorgonzola cheese, divided
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp minced shallots
4 cups fresh spinach leaves, preferably baby spinach
1.Combine paprika, pepper and salt in a plastic bag. Add chicken and shake to coat. Set aside.
2. Place cider in an 8 in. square baking dish. (Microwave safe of course) Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Add chicken, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 6 minutes, stirring once at 3 minutes.
3. Drain chicken and set aside, reserving cider mixture.
4. Add carrots to cider, cover with plastic wrap. (probably should use some new plastic wrap by now) Cut a few vents in the wrap and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
5. Add apples, stir, and microwave on high for 1 1/2-2 minutes or until apples are just tender.
6. Drain 1/3 of cider from baking dish.
7. Combine apples, carrots, chicken and half the gorgonzola in a bowl. Toss and set aside.
8. Add vinegar,shallots and reserved cider mixture in baking dish and microwave on high for one minute.
9. Drizzle over chicken mixture. Toss gently and divide atop plates of washed and dried spinach. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and serve.
**NOTE: I don't own a microwave, so I have never actually made this, but it sounds really good and it came out of my grandmothers recipe box, so it's sure to be quite tasty. If you try making it, let me know how it comes out. =)