The publishing part of Microsoft, started in 1984. They actually have quite good books on Software Engineering - I can especially recommend the books by Steve Maguire, with second place going to Steve McConnell. They call the series these are in the "Best Practices" series (and it is a pain to find on their website).

Books in this series include:

  • Writing Solid Code, by Steve Maguire - if "invariants" does not immediately ring a bell, this is a must read. Includes a lot of techniques for making sure that you keep bugs out of your code.
  • Debugging The Development Process, by Steve Maguire - also a must read. It is a tiny (200 pages), easily read book about how to make software development work - with a lot of concrete advice.
  • Code Complete, by Steve McConnell - a good overview of different software engineering theory, so if you've not tracked that field, this is a good place to start. The book is large but easily read - though I think it would have been even easier to read if it had been less wordy, and instead covered more material. Note that there are some errors in the example programs.
  • Rapid Development, by Steve McConnell - McConnell's attempt at cloning "Debugging The Development Process" (or at least so it seems). Worth reading, but if you're only going to read one, pick "Debugging The Development Process".
  • Dynamic Of Software Development, by Jim McCarty. A case study in how the Visual C(++) team managed to tune their development to do quarterly releases, more or less on the day. Includes a number of interesting observations in team dynamic - worth reading, but not a must-read (though some people disagree with me on this.)

I have no clue how Microsoft Press can have this good books on these topics and Microsoft still release with the software quality they do.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.