This could be one of two things:

1) Microsoft, seeing the popularity of E2 have decided to embrace and extend it. Microsoft Everything.NET will be a carbon copy of the functionality of E2, but with the soul ripped screaming from the body; leaving a bitter husk behind.

Everything.NET will be easy to install, but will only run on Win2k Enterprise edition, SQL Server enterprise edition and MS internet information stealer^H^H^H^H^H^H^H server. The press release will not mention E2, nor Apache or MySQL and will imply that MS engineers have been hard at work for 2 years designing this revolutionary, easy to use, user friendly and paradigm shifting system, under the direct visionary guidance of Bill Gates.

The system will cost $750 per user and will be restricted to a 65355 nodes limit which, if exceeded, will require the purchase of another server cluster license. Nodes will be renamed InfoDroplets(tm) and will be created using a flashy UI that will use COM and VB to directly insert the node (as an XML wrapped C++ written COM object) into the SQL server.

All Microsoft websites will be touted as running Everything.NET, but will in fact be running the original E2 on Apache servers and MySQL databases patched to pretend they are running Win2k and SQL server. Nodeballs will be renamed ContextPackages and will only work on the latest Everything.NET service packs, which will have security holes in. Oh yeah, and it won't display correctly in Netscape or Lynx. MS will then sue Nate et al for patent violation (breathing) and tie them down in lawsuits for years to come.

2) Failing that, Microsoft Everything will be the catch all product name for the world, once Microsoft buys it.


The Nodeshell Rescue Team

On a completely unrelated note, my definition of Microsoft Everything has nothing to do with E2. Microsoft Everything is that concept supposedly, you should be able to do everything you could possibly need to do using only Microsoft software, on your Windows box.

But Matt, you're a rabid Mac user! you say, what the hell do you know about Windows? Well, I get the immense privlege of running Windows 2000 at work. (as my boss told me, in a pert, self-righteous tone, "everyone in the business world uses Windows.") One thing that always strikes me as amazing about Windows (I really, really, don't use much besides my Mac and occasionally X11 on my FreeBSD box) is how there seemingly is an "inner circle" of Microsoft apps. These apps can do amazing things. They can seem to move freely in spirit between their mortal shells. Explorer morphs into a web browser. The functionality of Word, Excel, Powerpoint suddenly appears within Internet Explorer. Word can imbed Excel. Powerpoint can embed Excel. Powerpoint can embed Word. And so on, and so on. It's almost like all the MS apps are one big, conglomate app, and all their various earthly incarnations are just tentacles of the beast.

3rd party apps, however, are left out in the cold. They cannot communicate with those of the inner circle. If you select the text of a URL and try dropping it into IE, well, not much will happen. Try the same thing on any version of MacOS post-7.0 or so, and you'll get some results. Also, try copying ANYTHING out of a DOS shell app (e.g., telnet) and NOTHING will happen. I mean, IE is far too arisocratic to tend with these peasant DOS apps. Zounds.

"If you can't do it with our programs, why would you want to do it?" is basically the attitude taken by Microsoft in their consumer-level version of Windows. They expect you to use Microsoft Everything. And they're not about to tell anyone the secrets to Windows programming, lest they have competing web browsers, Word processors, and so on.


Addendum: As far as Windows games go, they don't really use the GUI at any extent at all. They take over the screen and use DirectX, which I'm sure Microsoft is considerably more open about, since they don't really make much money from games, whereas the copious amount of 3rd party games for DirectX is one of the things that lets Windows hold its dominance over the consumer desktop market.

privlege privlege privlege privlege privlege privlege privlege. Happy?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.