Messerschmitt's Bf 110 (also coded Me 110) Zerstörer (destroyer) was designed by the Germans during the Second World War as a strategic long-range heavy fighter capable of escorting bombers to and from their targets.

However, it was soon found to be ineffective at its intended role; it was too heavy and not maneuverable enough to compete with the single-engine fighters in combat. The Bf 110 came into its own as a Pulk-Zerstörer (formation destroyer), employed against the large American day-bomber formations.

The Bf 110 had armor only against the head-on attack. Its heavy armaments were all trained ahead (creating a fearsome barrage of bullets when approaching from in front), but the plane lacked any effective rear guns and is badly exposed to fire from behind the pilot. Impact at close range often caused the Zerstörer to disintegrate, owing to its light construction. The craft had trouble competing with smaller fighters, and the pilot couldn't always coax out of it the necessary speed or turns to beat a hasty retreat if challenged.


Statistics:

Model C

Max. Speed: 560 km/h
Cruise Speed: 440 km/h
Ceiling: 10,000 m
Combat Radius: 290 km
Fuel Capacity: 1270 L
Wing Area: 38.5 sq. m
Max. Horsepower: 1,100 hp(x2)
Weight loaded: 6740 kg

Model G

Max. Speed: 550 km/h
Cruise Speed: 480 km/h
Ceiling: 11,065 m
Combat Radius: 290 km
Fuel Capacity: 1270 L
Wing Area: 38.5 sq. m
Max. Horsepower: 1,475 hp(x2)
Weight loaded: 6988 kg



Stats from Francois Verlinden's WWII Aircraft Volume 2

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.