Location:
In Wisconsin, the Fox Cities (Fox River Valley), about 100 miles north of Milwaukee and 30 miles south of Green Bay. Bordered to the west by Little Lake Butte des Morts and on the southeast by Lake Winnebago. Neenah is adjacent to the south, and [Appleton, WI to the north.

Population:
15,685

Public Library:
Elisha D. Smith Public Library, located:

440 First St.
Menasha, WI 54952
(That's Wisconsin, United States of America)
Phone: (920)967-5166

Recreation:
High school American football, soccer (football), and semi-pro soccer (football) can be seen at Calder Stadium.
There are several parks: Jefferson Park and Smith Park are two of the more popular ones.
To be honest, people generally leave Menasha for Appleton, or even Green Bay, when they really want to recreate. Menasha is a little... small.

History:
Native Americans and voyageurs had long been using the Fox River waterway by the time James Doty envisioned a settlement in the Menasha area as he first traveled through in 1820. In 1831 the U.S. Government bought 2.5 million acres of land from the Indians.

In 1841 Doty became the second Territorial Governor of Wisconsin, and he continued to work with his eldest son Charles and with Harrison and Curtis Reed to develop the area. He owned a large portion the island which now contains the southern portion of Menasha, and he later bought 66 acres across the river in the present downtown area for $838. Governor Doty told his friends that the Indians called this place "Menashay" which meant "settlement on the island."

Curtis Reed obtained a charter to build a dam across the Fox River, and the City of Menasha was formally incorporated in 1874. Eventually the flour mills gave way to the manufacture of paper.

Paper production and processing, publishing, and packaging are still a major part of the area's strong economy today. Menasha has encouraged continued commercial and industrial growth. Our industries, along with the recent completion of the Tri-County Freeway and the recreational opportunities, beautiful parks, and small town atmosphere of the area, make Menasha part of one of the fastest-growing areas in Wisconsin.

- history section taken from http://my.athenet.net/~mencity/


If you find yourself in Menasha and in need of anything (else), go ahead and ask someone. The crime rate is relatively low, and people are generally nice anyway. :)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.