A German hard rock band, founded in 1993. Notable songs include "Kopfschuss" (Headshot), "Gott Sein" (To Be God), and "Freiflug" (Freeflight).

They're often compared to Rammstein, though Megaherz is quite different. With more emphasis on guitars than electronics, their sound is quite a bit noisier. The lyrics are more varied than Rammstein's; topics range from the bombastic rage of "Totet den DJ" (Kill the DJ) to the quiet (relatively) emotion of "Freiflug" to Grimm's Fairy Tales in "Rappunzel." Political themes are especially prevalent in Herzwerk II.

While fairly popular in Germany, they have yet to get much exposure in the United States. Their song "Perfekt Droge" was supposed to be on a compilation with a US release, but I have not been able to find anything more about it.

In June 2004, the band finally got an album released in America: Wer Bist Du, retitled to Eins. One of their earliest releases, it contains the infamous "Gott Sein", a song which is often mistakenly labeled as Rammstein. The liner notes lack lyrics, to many people's dismay, but it is said to be otherwise complete. I still haven't been able to find it.

Members:
Christian "X-ti" Bystron - Guitar
Wenz - Bass
Oliver Pohl - Guitar
Jürgen Zink - Drums
They currently have no vocalist.

Ex-members:
Alexx Wesselsky (also known as Alexx v. Weygand) - Vocals; left after Herzwerk II was released
Matthias Elsholz - Vocals; replaced Alexx, but didn't work out

Albums:
Herzwerk
Wer bist Du
Kopfschuss
Himmelfahrt
Herzwerk II
Megaherz is a band with middlish popularity in Germany, but with a loyal fanbase in the English speaking world. The official English website, run by Jobarr (of Herzeleid.com musiknews.info eisbrecher.com oomph.com and currently on the payroll of Rammstein's website) has an active forum for fans. This attracts a wide range of people, including Arndt Peltner of Radio Goethe "fame".

Megaherz have released 5 albums:
  • Herzwerk
  • Wer bist Du
  • Kopfschuss
  • Himmelfahrt
  • Herzwerk II
  • Fünf
"Wer bist Du" (Who are you) has recently been released in America as "Eins", and it is hoped the others will be released (hopefully not with titles such as Zwei and Drei). Herzwerk itself was a demo CD, but it was re-released in 2002 with an additional song, "Spring in die Schlucht".

Megaherz seem to be leaving a period of inactivity, after Alexx left the band after Herzwerk II to form Eisbrecher with Noel Pix (who contributed remixes to some earlier albums), they began a search for a new singer. One was found in the form of Mattias Elsholz from the band Twelve after Elf, who lent his voice to Windkind (Wind Child) in the chorus, with the repeating "Der Wind, der Wind, das Himmlische Kind" (The wind, the wind, the angelic child). Unfortunately this was not to be, there were significant problems as Mattias lived in Italy. Within a few months he left the band, and the search resumed. Many months later Olli Pohl left, and many people began to think the worst.

During March in 2004 the official German website (http://www.megaherz.de) added the legend "Der Countdown läuft" (The countdown is running) to the website, which sparked a great deal of discussion. On the 21st May 2004 the favourite icon changed on the German site, and both German and English (http://www.megaherz.com) speaking sites added a new flash introduction, containing the new logo (a heart in sillouette with a white flame in the foreground) and a piece of new music, to whet the appetites of the fans.

Megaherz love to bring things into the modern world, such as Hänschenklein '97 (or '95 if you have Herzwerk), which updates the German children's song about a little boy growing up to include said boy being brutally murdered. There are lots of songs based on the Märchenwelt (Fairy tales) such as Rappunzel and Informelle Mitarbeiter Rumpelstilzchen. They also covered the hit "Rock me Amadeus" by Falco. Megaherz are well worth a look, and are featured on all 3 Radio Goethe compilation CDs.

Thanks to interrobang - Also a Kraftwerk song from their self titled 1970 album.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.