Hardee's (or Carl's Jr. to some) has introduced a new burger: The Mega Thickburger (or the monster thickburger). A Hardee's executive has described it as "not for tree huggers". Indeed. The burger is made from two 1/3 pound patties of ground beef, three slices of american cheese, four slices of bacon, and mayonaise, on a buttered sesame bun. This sandwich has 1300 calories, and 96 grams of fat, 40 grams of which are saturated. (The USDA recommends no more than 20 grams of saturated fat be consumed per day.) It has a day's worth of sodium (2110 mg, where only no more that 1500 mg are recommended).

If you ever see me refer to a heart attack on a bun, this is the type of thing I'm talking about.

Add medium french fries (520 calories, 24 grams fat, 5 grams saturated fat, and 320 mg sodium) and a small soda (260 calories, 71 grams sugar), and you've got almost 2100 calories. To put this in perspective, an average, moderately active adult male burns about 2500 to 2800 calories in a day.

I can almost guarantee that I could make a better tasting, healthier meal at home for the same price or less. I think that the fact that this burger exists, and is meant to be a single meal says something about this country.


Nutritional information gathered from Hardee's website: http://www.hardees.com/nutrition

smartalix says A stick of butter has fewer calories and fat.

Also, the Hardee's website has the tagline "Be afraid" next to a picture of the burger.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.