So I haven't been getting any work done, but there's more important things than work. Looking forward to sampling the new Mod night in about seventeen hours or so. But I did make my second mix-CD today, so at least I did something constructive. I still don't like it as much as tape, and I can't put any of my vinyl on it. I don't know if this works as well as other stuff, and it's been put together rather haphazardly, but it sounds okay at the moment. It's to give to someone who received a new Discman after losing her old one, so I guess it's a

Disc to put in another Discman...

Jesus and Mary Chain - Between Planets
Velvet Underground - Candy Says
Buzzcocks - Boredom
Disco Inferno - Second Language
Pixies - Gigantic
Husker Du - Celebrated Summer
The Fall - Winter (Live 1981)
Pavement - Summer Babe (Winter Version)
My Bloody Valentine - When You Sleep
Iggy Pop - Tonight
Joy Division - The Only Mistake
Low - Kind of Girl
Liliput - Hitch-hike
Ramones - Needles and Pins (cover)
Spiritualized - Electricity
Lou Reed - Street Hassle
The Who - Run, Run, Run
The Stone Roses - I Am The Resurrection (edit - thanks free goldwave demo!)
The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

79 minutes, fifty-seven seconds


Comments appreciated encouraged
Friday Five

What drinking water do you prefer -- tap, bottle, purifier, etc?
Mmm... purified water... Brita and Pur are wonderful...

What are your favorite flavor of chips?
Hmm... regular chips: BBQ - Pringles: Pizza

Of all the things you can cook, what dish do you like the most?
Hmm... probably my chicken stir fry, or one of my 4-ingredient cookbook recipes...

How do you have your eggs?
Cooked. *blinks* What? Oh - you want to know how I like them cooked? Over-easy, generally.

Who was the last person who cooked you a meal? How did it turn out?
Linda cooked me breakfast this morning. Eggs over-easy, come to think of it..

Weekly Wrap-up

1. Do you like rain? Why or why not?
Need you ask? I love rain - thunderstorms especially. The energy of the storm is amazing and I can fly high for hours. Besides that, after the rain stops, everything is the most incredible shade of green.

2. As a child, what did you do when it rained?
I would sit on my porch on the porch-swing with my feet up and my arms wrapped around my knees, and watch the lightening dance across the field.

3. What is currently your favorite rainy day activity? Why?
Curl up with a book near a partially-open window and read for hours on end. Or sit with a notebook and stare out at the torrents of heaven's tears and write. *rereads that* Um... *thinks her muse is hitting her with a 2x4 again*

4. Describe the best rainy day experience you've ever had.
Talking Val through a new type of grounding that would enable her to not spent thunderstorms huddled in fear in her bed, under the blankets. And then walking around at 2am with her, and soaking up the storm energy until I was flying so high I could hardly sit still.

5. Suggest a good video/DVD rental for a rainy day. Why did you pick this movie?
The American President simply because it is my favorite romantic comedy of all time, and I love being cuddled up to someone I love, watching such things while the rain is pouring down and the thunder is rumbling in the distance.

To my friends at the ACLU

As a fan of civil liberties, I feel a sense of despair when I hear the refrain that civil liberties are under assault because, for example, Sean Penn might not get his next movie deal. If that's censorship, then so is the fact that the movie adaptation of Tom Clancy's "Sum of All Fears" was altered so that the bad guys were neo-Nazis instead of Islamists. Boo hoo. Somehow, I think democracy will survive this mild chilling of commercial speech, even if Mr. Penn's career doesn't.

I despair when I hear anti-war activists constantly whining that their patriotism is being questioned. Of course it is! Its called demagoguery, and its a form of free speech. Get used to it. Besides, what you're getting is mild compared to the "Bush=Hitler" vitriol I have to tolerate. Talk about questioning someone's patroitism!

I despair when I am told that deporting non-citizens whose visas have expired is a massive assault on civil liberties. It may be unwise or bad public policy, but they are guests in our country. Being a rude host is bad, but it isn't quite the same as Korematsu v. United States, the key case in the WW II internment scandal.

I despair not necessarily because the aforementioned complaints are void of any merit, I despair because they indicate the absence of a sense of proportion. My friends, the real threat to civil liberties is the de facto suspension of habeas corpus as evidenced by the detention of Jose Padilla, a U.S. citizen arrested on U.S. soil. Now, Mr. Padilla may indeed be a true terrorist, and I accept the suspension of habeas corpus in times of war; but traditional wars end when the hostilities end, and so there is a natural limit to the suspension of habeas corpus. Clearly, the hostilities have ended in the Afghanistan phase of the war on terror, yet Padilla is still in legal limbo. Ultimately, no-one can define when hostilities in the "war on terror" will end. This suspension of habeas corpus is apparently of indefinite duration, and thus a dire threat to every American.

If its true that some U.S. Mosques support terrorist organizations, it follows that those Mosque's entire membership is "linked to terrorism". If drugs promote terrorism, it follows that every kid who puffs a joint is "linked to terrorism". Attorney General Ashcroft believes Mr. Padilla was "exploring" how to create a radiological "dirty bomb", which if true, is far more serious that merely being "linked" to terrorism. But the standard for detaining illegal combatants is so low (not "reasonable doubt", not even the more lenient "probable cause", but merely "some evidence" is all Ashcroft must show!), it seems an executive order is all it would take for an unlucky Muslim (or stoner) to be susceptible to the same treatment as Mr. Padilla.

Sadly, the ACLU has so far proven handicapped in its duty to defend habeas corpus. To my friends at the ACLU: You were so caught up in the grand project of extending traditional rights into new domains, such as the supposed "right" of economic immigrants to be free of the inevitable dangers of the swift current or the open desert, that you had no energy (or perhaps, credibility) left to defend the basic rights of Americans against new and unexpected challenges. Not that immigrants don't deserve some protection! But in your pride you convinced yourselves that since you'd had a string of sucesses on the traditional liberties front, it was now safe to blur the line between core liberties and extended liberties. You failed to understand that such blurring in and of itself is a treat to traditional liberties. Individual ACLU members saw the danger in Padilla's case, but as an institution you took core liberties somewhat for granted, the way every other complacent American does. But you of all people should have known better. You were caught napping. You underestimated the challenge.

Come back to your roots, ACLU! Its not too late. You've filed a brief in favor of Mr. Padilla's habeas corpus petition, and as of March 11, 2003, appear to have achieved a limited victory: a judge ruled that Padilla may meet with a lawyer before his status as an enemy combatant is determined. But his status will be determined at an administrative hearing; he still may not ever get a trial date in a court of law, the essence of habeas corpus.

You should devote more of your resources towards ensuring the next Jose Padilla has his day in court. I am cautiously hopeful that, now that our long policy of accommodation towards Iraq has ended, and the horrors of Saddam's rule have been exposed to the world, there will be a renewed hunger in the U.S. and in the world to aspire to justice over expediency. The world must see we treat Muslims the same as anyone else. I suspect if you keep focused on core liberties, and frame the issue properly, you'll find much broader support than you expect.

Good luck!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.