Maths for the masses

Or "Everything you never wanted to know about mathematics but would really like if you two got together, had a few beers, and got to know each other a little better"


This is a little pet project of mine which used to be housed on my homenode until some people shouted at me to node it properly. Here it is in all its perpetually incomplete glory.

Basically, here on Everything2 I'm always hearing complaints that mathematics nodes are completely incomprehensible to a non-mathematician. In a sense, this is fine. The concepts involved can be hard to understand even for experts. However, we are missing whole chunks of the stuff which people need to know in order to begin to understand these nodes. That's what I'm trying to collect. If you know of any nodes which are well-written and explain mathematical concepts in a way that the average person can understand, /msg me and I'll put them here. I've divided up the listing into branches of maths, so people know where to look for similar material and so on. As you can see, there's not much here, but I'll add more as I write/find it.

If you're interested in doing some stuff for the project, /msg me and I'll tell you what kind of stuff we need (just about everything at the moment).

Algebra

Calculus & Analysis

Combinatorics & Discrete Mathematics

Geometry & Topology

Logic & Set Theory

Number Theory

Probability & Statistics

Various, etc.


Last updated 29 July 2003. In association with E2Science

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.