Everything Snapshot

Time: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 00:14:47 GMT
Everything server: Apache/1.3.9 (Unix) mod_perl/1.21
Number of nodes: 416354 (1436 new since March 6, 2000)
Number of users: 12163 (40 new since March 6, 2000)
Number of links: 547658 (13609 new since March 6, 2000)

Users Online: New Nodes:

my memory of swimming lessons

As far back as I can remember, my mom wanted me (and later my sister) to take swimming lessons. Every year I would start out with the greatest of hopes. We would learn to bob and to drown proof and so on. We would sing "I'm being eaten by a boa constrictor" and "The wheels on the bus go round and round"* and so on. Great fun. But somehow every year I would be unable to complete the class. Ear infection, long trip away, something. Eventually I made it out of the beginning level (tadpole) up to the second level (frog). But by that time I was old enough to notice that the girls who were teaching swimming were not much older than me, and young enough to be unbearably awkward about noticing. So I presented my mom with a flat refusal to attend swimming classes anymore. And thus I really never learned to swim.

* I'm pretty sure The wheels on the bus... is associated with the decisive moment of embarrassment, because I get all flushed thinking about it, but I can't actually remember. I'm fairly sure she was blonde with a ponytail. Sigh.
Bugger all. In stark contrast to what I said on Monday, the damn copy constructor DOES have a use. Still, the person who invented them should be shot.

Not a very eventful day thus far. I'm sitting in the Oakland University Dodge Hall computer labs, coding, compiling, noding, and making more sketches which I can later use as threats by showing them to people. Fun for all!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.