Marcel is Ross's pet monkey on the TV show Friends. This monkey was fairly significant as it is one of the only cases in television history of a show introducing a monkey as a character without going off the air soon afterwards. Normally when a television show introduces a monkey it is doing something called jumping the shark in a desparate grab for ratings. These shows usually don't get renewed, but friends went for many seasons after the monkey was gone.

Marcel is important because he caused Ross to realize that he could be a good father. Ross had been questioning his ability as a parent, when Marcel swallowed a scrabble tile and nearly died. Ross handled the situation perfectly.

Ross had to eventually give Marcel up for adoption, because he had reached sexual maturity and would not stop humping everything in sight. You just can't do monkey humping jokes for more than a single episode.

So Marcel goes to live at the Zoo. A later on Ross goes to visit Marcel at the zoo and is told that he has died. But he finds out from a janitor that Marcel was actually sold to a movie studio.

Ross later got to see Marcel one last time on the set of a movie Marcel was in, "Virus 2 : The Virus Takes Manhattan".

<********* BEGIN HIDDEN COMMENT BLOCK************ A very wise editor had started to audit me, and I quickly realized (from his msgs), that I have a lot more bad nodes then I thought. So I am going to rewrite almost all of my nodes (at least the first 500 or so). I will starting at my very first node, and redoing them in order. I will list them here as I redo them. Even my best nodes could probably use a bit of work. So I will leave no node unturned (except my daylogs, which I will simply spellcheck). This node was about monkeys, so obviously it is high art. at server time Friday, March 29, 2002 at 10:50:37 ******END HIDDEN COMMENT BLOCK*******>

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.