In the Bible within the Old Testament Book of Genesis lies a reference to Mamre. In Chapter 14, Verse 13 we are told Abram, (later to become Abraham), dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite. This location was in Caanan near Hebron.

From Mamre Abram went up to do battle with Chedorlaomer king of Elam and his allies who had taken Abram's brother Lot captive along with his family and possessions. Lot had located his family in Sodom, which fell before the assault of Chedorlaomer.

Mamre appears again in Genesis Chapter 23, Verses 17-19 in which Sarah the wife of Abraham is buried in the cave of Machpelah which is before or adjacent to Mamre. In Machpelah was the field of Ephron the Hittite. Upon Sarah's death Abraham sought to buy the field from Ephron, who in turn wished to gift the field to Abraham. The property contained the field, a grove of trees, and the cave itself. Abraham insisted on paying fair value, a sum which he and Ephron agreed upon as 400 shekels of silver.

Another reference to Mamre is in Genesis Chapter 35, Verse 27 in which Jacob rejoins his father Isaac at Mamre. God promises Jacob to make the land his possession where it had been a temporary dwelling for Abraham and Isaac. The cave of Machpelah was to become the burial cave of the Patriarchs.

Mamre has been identified as Ballatet Selta about 1.5 miles west of Hebron. It has also been associated with er-Ramah, about 2 miles north of Hebron.

Sources:

http://christiananswers.net/dictionary/mamre.html
The Holy Bible (KJV)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.