Literally, "malt sugar"; a disaccharide sugar made up of two linked glucose molecules. It results from the breakdown of starches and glycogen.

From the BioTech Dictionary at http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/. For further information see the BioTech homenode.

Maltose consists of two glucose molecules linked by 1,4 glycosidic bonds. This bonds forms by condensation reaction, during which an H and an OH group on two glucose molecules combine to form water, leaving the glucose molecules bonded together.

In the mouth glucose is produced by the action of salivary amylase (an enzyme) on starch in the food. Amylase is also produced by the pancreas and released into the ilium, part of the small intestine, to further break down starch into maltose. Maltose is then acted upon by maltase to produce glucose, which is small enough to be absorbed by the lining of the intestine.

Malt"ose` (?), n. [From Malt.] Physiol. Chem.

A crystalline sugar formed from starch by the action of distance of malt, and the amylolytic ferment of saliva and pancreatic juice. It resembles dextrose, but rotates the plane of polarized light further to the right and possesses a lower cupric oxide reducing power.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.