A machine in the world of Transmetropolitan that, well... makes. It can make anything, from food to clothing to random household objects. However, to make such things, the maker needs the proper codes so that it knows how to make it.

Makers are powered by a base block, which "contains superdense neutral matter suspended in a drift vise." Makers are also capable of fuel conversion, in other words they have the power to convert garbage and other unwanted material. In The City, one often sees the underprivileged scrounging for trash, before the streets get cleaned.

As far as legality goes, Makers have software locks to prevent illegal things from being created, such as disassemblers which can break anything down at an atomic level, reducing anyone who gets caught in the tide of nanomachines to a pile of goop. However, there are always things that have not yet been declared illegal, a loophole which Spider Jerusalem loves to take advantage of.

For the most part, aside from Issue #1, we don't see Spider and his assistants use their Maker (a Godti 101 model) for anything other than potato schnapps (chilled or frozen) or coffee (Arabica, Colombian, etc). The group is plagued by their machine's addiction to drugs, as Spider finds out multiple times that his Maker has created hallucinogen simulators, which summarily get removed in a hostile fashion.

Makers are seen in various shapes and sizes. In issue #56, student protestors slap stickers of the Transient movement logo onto the shields and helmets of riot police. These were created using handheld MiniMakers. In The City, it is not uncommon to have complimentary makers in posh locations, such as hotels.

Mak"er (m&amac;k"&etil;r) n.,

1.

One who makes, forms, or molds; a manufacturer; specifically, the Creator.

The universal Maker we may praise. Milton.

2. Law

The person who makes a promissory note.

3.

One who writes verses; a poet.

[Obs.]

⇒ "The Greeks named the poet poihth`s, which name, as the most excellent, hath gone through other languages. It cometh of this word poiei^n, make; wherein, I know not whether by luck or wisdom, we Englishmen have met well the Greeks in calling him a maker."

Sir P. Sidney.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.