Similar to the Boston accent, but if anything, worse. More specifically known as the "Downeast accent".. Usually involves very little use of the "r" sound, e.g. Car becomes Cah. Also heavily sprinkled with Maine slang like "wicked" (refered to something good, as in "That bean suppah was Wicked Good!") and also "Ayuh" (an acknowledgement of sorts, as in Man 1:"The Weathah's be'n pretty good".. Man 2:"Ayuh..")

The Maine accent is one that is hard to define. It can range from something very similar to French in the northern parts of Maine to something similar to a Boston accent in areas around the New Hampshire border.

Along with the accent, Maine contains its own set of verbs and adjectives and nouns to describe life. Terms like "Digger"(pronounced dig-gah) describe falling down. "Wicked Digger"(wicked dig-gah) describes falling down hard. "Right out straight" describes being really busy, as in, "Jesus bub, I've been right out straight all day."

There are too many to list but some other notable terms include "Governor" (pronounced Gov-nah) who is anyone one you are talking to at that point in time. Usually is someone who just helped you out in some way, "Thanks for the lift, govnah." Also "'Taint likely" is used when you are telling someone that you are pretty sure something will not happen, as in, "The weather man says its going to be warm tomorrow...'taint likely."

The Maine accent is nothing short of fascinating, if you ask me. It would also probably be a field day for someone studying linguistic origins in America, since every town seems to have very slight variations on the accent. In some of the more isolated areas, people came over from England back in the 1700s and have been fairly insulated against population ingress over the last 3 centuries, so their accent is almost closer to the proletarian British accents than to standard American.

This, of course, is mostly limited to very rural areas, and even in such places the accent is disappearing faster now than ever before, as more rural areas fall victim to sprawl and artists and such from away (another very Maine expression) take up residence and "dilute" the accent, if you will. The more standard "New England accent" or "Boston accent" is observable both in the city of Portland and in points south towards New Hampshire and Boston, though the majority of people, even those who grew up in this area like myself, speak basically the same as the news anchors on CNN.

Obviously, I can't really explain the mechanics of an accent via the internet. A good way to get in the frame of reference for trying imitate this accent, however, is to pronounce the word "mash" as most Americans would pronounce it, but imagine that you are actually referring to a marsh, that is, a piece of wet, swampy land, when you say it. Now, while you're in this mode, imagine your lobster boat has been grounded on the dock for repairs, and your 400 hp Evinrude outboard motor has just toppled out of the engine well and into the brine beneath. Now, contort your face ever so slightly and say "Well, hadn' counted on that now..." Some accents are easy to recreate (like the Brooklyn accent), but this one is near impossible to pin down.

There's also a store in Portland (where, of course, this accent is virtually nonexistent) called "Queen of Hats". The store sells hats. Do you get the joke yet? Well, I think saying downeast Mainers would pronounce "heart" the way more Americans would pronounce "hat" is a bit of a stretch. They would probably hit the "r", especially in places where the accent is bit more rhotic.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.