Mad Sin was founded in Berlin in 1987 by Köfte(vocals), Stein (guitar), and Holly(bass). They started out playing small bars and as street musicians in shopping malls. They played a mix of rockabilly, blues and country to get tourists money.

In 1988 Mad Sin signed their first record contract with 'Count Orlock' and released "God Save The Sin," which is to this day one of the most amazing albums that I have ever heard. The sound was a mix of classical hardcore, punk rock and psychobilly.

They went on to play gigs with faith no more, GWAR, Misfits, Suicidal Tendencies, the meteors and lots more. Köfte was insane and enthusiastic on the stage, with crazy live shows that included fire spitters they began to form a pretty big following.

Next, Mad Sin recorded their next album, "Sweet and Innocent?... Loud and Dirty!!!" which was released in August 1998 on Polydor Records. They even got some air play... Polydor thought that Mad Sin was too excessive and not mainstream enough. Mad Sin then left Polydor, and off to play loads of gigs.

After 12 years they got a second guitarist - Tex Morton (formerly in Sunny Dometosz and Lolitas). For three years they were kinda quiet, and all the band members had their own side projects. Köfte's was the Dead Kings, a punkabilly band with members of Batmobile, Nekromantix, Klingonz, and Milwaukee Wildmen which was pretty successful. Holly and Tex founded Dusty Gray and his Rough Riding Ramblers, which was a 1950's style rockabilly band. Stein was in the united swindlers, along with members of Frantic Flinstones and Ripmen - and they were pretty awesome as well.

Mad Sin is still together, and have released many incredible albums. They still play gigs and have toured many parts of the world.

Discography:

Survival Of The Sickest
Released: 2002

Sweet & Innocent? ...Loud & Dirty!
Released: 1998

God save the Sin
Released: 1996

A Ticket into Underworld
Released: 1993

! Break the Rules
Released: 1992

Amphigory
Released: 1991

Distorted Dimensions
Released: 1990

Chills and Thrills in a Drama of MAD SIN and Mystery
Released: 1988

Take A Ride Promo-CD-Single
Released: 1998

All This and More CD-Single
Released: 1998

The Hardwrights - Bonanza 10"
Released: 1998

Meattrain at Midnight 7"
Released: 1997

I first heard, and heard about, Mad Sin at Stavanger Punk Festival in 2004 (+/- 1 year). I left their concert with mixed feelings.

At the time, I considered myself a christian. I never was a particularly conservative one (actually I was quite the opposite - open-minded and trying to be as non-biased as possible), but still, I found Mad Sin somewhat offensive to my beliefs and, well, blasphemous. Mostly the first, I suppose. Feeling that I could not condone this, I removed myself from my prime spot right in front of the scene.

Still, I couldn't leave the concert area. I was there with my little sister, and was tasked with watching over her (she was 16 at the time). So I moved over to the bar, and watched the band from there. And as a couple of songs had passed, I was caught up in an internal maelstrom. The band was up there insulting things I believed in (and I felt insulted), but at the same time, the music was damn catchy. The feeling that I couldn't like the music, because I didn't like the image and opinions of the guys standing up there was being seriously shaken by the sheer coolness of the music. It didn't help that they looked cool doing it as well.

So I left the concert with mixed feelings. As time passed, the feelings largely dissipated, and my memories of the event became a haze. And so did my belief. Dissipate, that is. Then, some day last winter, I came over some music by them again. God Save the Sin, I think it was. And, well, I was sold. The music caught me instantly, and without my former religious beliefs to make a conflict, I found myself able to enjoy it.

And so I did, immensly. It has actually become one of my favourite bands, and I've had at least one album of theirs on my mp3 player (a small 512MB USB player) constantly since last summer. Only Machinae Supremacy has had longer, more constant space on that player.

I should probably end this writeup with recommending an album, and that would be their latest, named Dead Moon Calling. While the older music, at least back to God Save the Sin, is just as catchy, this album feels more refined and well-executed from a sound perspective.

A final note: Mad Sins music isn't in general that offensive to christians (as far as I can remember, there's only one song that's actually overtly anti-christian, Holy Vacation). What I found offensive was their stage antics.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.