Maclean's Magazine is a Canadian news and current events magazine, published weekly by Rogers Media Inc. The magazine is headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and has regional offices in Quebec, British Columbia, the U.S., the Pacific Rim and Europe. It has a weekly paid circulation of over 500,000 copies and edges out Time Magazine for the largest Canadian readership for a news magazine.

While best known for news features, primarily about Canadian politics and domestic issues, Maclean's also covers international news and politics, entertainment, cultural and sports stories. Maclean's also features regular columnists who offer commentary on Canadian issues -- most notably Allan Fotheringham, who will forever be known for his cutting political satire on The Back Page . The magazine also publishes several special annual editions: 50 Most Influential Canadians, the Maclean's Annual Poll, the Maclean's Guide to Canadian Universities (with its often-controversial ratings scheme) and the Annual Honour Roll.


History:
Maclean's origins lie with The Business Magazine, a monthly news digest launched in October 1905 by Lt.-Col. John Bayne Maclean. The magazine was renamed The Busy Man's Magazine later that year, and finally took the Maclean's mantle in 1910. Col. Maclean gradually abandoned the news digest format in favor of original, Canadian-themed articles. By 1920, the magazine was being published monthly, and was beginning to feature contributors such as: Robert Service, Lucy Maud Montgomery and Stephen Leacock. The magazine also featured Canadian artists, including Group of Seven members A.J. Casson, Arthur Lismer and J.E.H. MacDonald.

During World War II, Maclean's published over 800,000 "bantam" (reduced-size) editions for fighting men and women abroad. In the post-war period, Maclean's recruited a roster of writers who later would form the pantheon of the Canadian literary scene in the 1960s and 70s -- namely W.O. Mitchell, Pierre Berton, Peter Gzowski and the late Mordecai Richler. Maclean's was at the heart of all of the contentious issues facing Canadians during the last half-century: the flag debate, the October Crisis, the patriation of the constitution (including the subsequent constitutional debates and failed accords) and the return of Quebecois nationalism. Finally in 1978, Maclean's became a weekly publication.


Sources:
Maclean's Magazine - http://www.macleans.ca/
Maclean's Online Media Kit - http://www.macleansmediakit.com/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.