Also, a series of cars produced by the MG Car Company of Abdington in England, the MG trademark now owned by BMW. Produced from 1955 to 1962, these two-seater roadsters or coupes are a departure from the prewar styling of the T series Midget. Engine sizes range from 1500cc to 1622cc, most of them overhead valve (pushrod). A few twin camshaft engines were developed towards the end of product development. Transmissions are always 4 speed with synchromesh on 2nd through 4th only. Suspension is independent in the front and rigid axle in the back, coils in the front and leaf springs in the rear.

MGA roadsters are not known for their weatherproofing. Roll-up windows are not present on roadsters; early side curtains are of a folding type, easily letting in dew and crud. Later 1622cc models have sliding screens which provide a greater but not full level of weather security. Coupes have roll-up glass windows, but ventilation suffers as a result. Coupes as a rule make up for their stuffiness by the fact that all coupes are 1622cc or Twin Cam with all-around disc brakes rather than the all-around drum setup on 1500s. 1622 MGAs (excluding some Twin Cam roadsters) had front disc/rear drum setups.

In the cockpit's seat the 'A' is a treasure. The handling is crisp in turns but moderate at slow speeds (both braking and steering are unassisted.) The only initial difficulty is the shift linkage, which can be very rough on the hands since the throw is short and very narrow. Since 1st gear has no synchro, the driver either has to fully stop at a stoplight or engage in very creative double clutching. For this reason the MGA is not a car for daily commuting, yet it's fun to take out every once in a while.

Bring a poncho in case the top doesn't fold correctly.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.